Waggingers Falls, N.Y. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team opened 2018 with a non-conference doubleheader split against Mount St. Mary's Tuesday evening at Dutchess Stadium. The Knights took game one by a score of 6-5 before the Falcons battled back to take the night cap, 4-3.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Mount St. Mary's 6 | Albertus Magnus 5
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 4 | Mount St. Mary's 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-1) | Mount St. Mary's (1-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus and Mount St. Mary's battled over the first three innings of play as both the Falcons and the Knights scored runs in both the first and third innings, tying the game at 2-all.
Freshman Brandon Fowler and sophomore Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) doubled the Falcons' lead, 4-2, in the top of the fifth, but the Knights answered back scoring a run a half inning later and two runs in the sixth to take a 5-4 lead.
Freshman John Olszyk (Hamden, Conn.) gave Albertus Magnus hope in the top of the seventh as the rookie allowed Warren to score on a RBI single, tying the game at 5-5. However, Mount St. Mary's plated the game winning run in their final at-bat to secure the walk-off win.
Albertus Magnus jumped out to a quick three-run lead, 3-0, in the top of the first, behind a RBI triple from Eric Therrien (Bristol, Conn.) and a two-run RBI double from Christian Bradley (Stratford, Conn.). However, Mount St. Mary's countered back scoring a run a half inning later to cut the lead to 3-1.
Two innings later, the Knights tied the game up at 3-all thanks to back-to-back RBI singles from Chris Introcaso and Tom Huvane.
Redshirt freshman Avery Shugrue (Hamden, Conn.) drove in the Falcons' winning run in the top of the fifth on a sacrifice fly to left.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
ON THE MOUND (Game 1)
- Albertus Magnus: Fred France (L, 0-1) - 0.1 IP | 1 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 1 BB | 0 SO | 0 HR
- Mount St. Mary's: Christian Spano (W) - 1.0 IP | 2 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 0 BB | 2 SO | 0 HR
AT THE PLATE (Game 1)
- Albertus Magnus went 8-of-28 at the plate, including four RBI.
- The Knights finished game one with an 11-of-29 performance with six RBI and three walks.
- Shugrue paced the Falcons' offense with two hits and a run scored.
- Three different players from Mount St. Mary's registered two hits.
ON THE MOUNT (Game 2)
- Albertus Magnus: Shawn McFeggan (W, 1-0) - 3 IP | 3 H | 0 R | 0 ER | 1 BB | 1 SO | 0 HR
- Mount St. Mary's: John Santana (L) - 5 IP | 3 H | 4 R | 1 ER | 3 BB | 7 SO | 0 HR
AT THE PLATE (Game 2)
- Albertus Magnus went 5-of-25 at the plate while Mount St. Mary's went 8-of-29.
- Therrien led the Falcons with a team-best two hits, a run and a RBI.
- Bradley recorded two of the Falcons' four RBI.
- A trio of Knights recorded two hit performances while Huvane posted a team-high two RBI.
The Falcons return to the mound on March 12 as the team travels to Myrtle Beach, S.C. for their annual Spring Break trip.