Boston, Mass. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at Stein Field. The Falcons took game one, 6-2, but fell in the nightcap to the Lasers, 7-0.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 6 | Lasell 2
FINAL SCORE (G2): Lasell 7 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (8-21, 4-10) | Lasell (9-19, 7-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Sophomore Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) started things off giving the Falcons the one-run edge in the top of the first following his sixth home run of the season before the visitors extended their lead to 4-0 following a two-run inning in the third and a one-run inning in the fourth thanks to a home run from sophomore Christian Bradley (Stratford, Conn.).
In the bottom of the fourth, Lasell countered back scoring two runs on three hits to cut the lead in half, 4-2, but Albertus scored an additional two runs in the top of the seventh to seal game one, 6-2.
After a scoreless first inning, Lasell came out swinging scoring five runs in the second and a run in the third to take a 6-0 lead over the Falcons. Lasell put the game out of reach after tacking on an additional run in the bottom of the sixth to secure the sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Steven Berry (W, 1-1) – 5.0 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 1 BB | 1 SO
- Albertus Magnus: Omar Diaz – 2.0 IP | 1 H | 1 SO
- Lasell: Zach Handzel (L, 1-5) – 5.1 IP | 7 H | 4 R | 3 ER | 6 SO | 2 HR
At the Plate (G1):
- Bradley and junior Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) led the Falcons with two hits while each player registered an RBI.
- Along with his home run, Warren recorded a game-high two RBI while junior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) posted two runs scored.
- Five different players registered a hit for the Lasers.
- The Falcons posted a 9-5 edge in hits.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Shawn McFeggan (L, 1-5) - 1.2 IP | 6 H | 5 R | 5 ER | 1 BB
- Lasell: Sean Doris (W, 3-2) - 4.0 IP | 1 H | 1 BB
At the Plate (G2):
- Browne and Warren registered a hit for the Falcons.
- Seven different Lasell players registered a hit while Wyatt Sihvonen and Chris Maringo scored a game-high two runs.
- Lasell out-hit the Falcons, 7-2.