New London, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team was defeated by Mitchell College in a non-conference doubleheader on Wednesday afternoon. The Mariners claimed the first game, 20-5, in five innings before taking the second game, 5-0.
FINAL (G1): Mitchell 20 | Albertus Magnus 0 (5 innings)
FINAL (G2): Mitchell 5 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORD: Albertus Magnus (7-7) | Mitchell (11-5)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 1)
Mitchell proved to be too much for Albertus in game one as the hosts jumped out to a commanding 13-0 lead after scoring four runs in the first and nine runs in the second.
The Mariners continued to take on runs while holding Albertus scoreless for the remainder of the game to secure the shutout.
KEY STATS (Game 1)
- Junior Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.), junior Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) and sophomore Dan DeBartolomeo (Fairfield, Conn.) registered one of the Falcons' three hits.
- Sophomore Brandon Fowler (Lexington, N.C.) earned the loss and falls to 2-1 on the season.
- Eric Marriott and Dougie DelaCruz led the Mariners with two hits each while DelaCruz and Same Majewski posted a team-high three RBI.
- Mitchell finished 13-for-25 at the plate with 14 RBI and 20 runs scored.
- Albertus finished 3-for-16.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (Game 2)
Mitchell opened the night cap with the early 1-0 lead behind a home run from Steven Cochrane in the bottom of the first.
Albertus threatened the Mariners over the next two innings, but solid defense as well as pitching kept the Falcons scoreless.
Mitchell extended its lead to 5-0 after scoring four runs in the bottom of the third.
The Falcons were unable to get on the board to fulfill the comeback as Mitchell took the sweep.
KEY STATS (Game 2)
- Freshman Alan Stinson (Watertown, Conn.) suffered the loss on the mound and falls to 1-1 on the season.
- Four different players for Albertus registered a hit.
- Mitchell was held to only four hits in game two.
The baseball team resumes GNAC play with a road doubleheader against Suffolk University on Saturday, March 30. Game times are set for 1PM and 3:30PM.