Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (1-1)
No. 7 Babson (3-2)
Wednesday, Nov. 29 • 7 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (1-1, 0-0 GNAC)
Regis (Mass.) (2-3, 0-0 GNAC)
Saturday, Dec. 2 • 3 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball continues its three-game homestead with a pair of games against No. 7 Babson and Regis (Mass.). The Falcons will face the Beavers Wednesday evening in a non-conference showdown beginning at 7 p.m. before opening GNAC play against Regis (Mass.) on Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m.
WEEK TWO RECAP
- Game 1: Albertus Magnus 77 | WPI 73 (OT) – RECAP/BOX SCORE
WEEK TWO GAME HIGHLIGHTS
- Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) earned his first double-double of the season.
- Junior Mason Jones (Manchester, N.J.) tallied a career-high 26 points on 8-of-18 shooting from the field and 3-of-6 from behind the arc.
- Senior Erick Langston (Stratford, Conn.) tallied a career-high 11 rebounds.
WALTERS NAMED GNAC CORVIAS PLAYER OF THE WEEK/AMC MALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Senior forward Jaqhawn Walters was named this week's GNAC Corvias Player of the Week and AMC Male Student-Athlete of the Week after his performance last week against WPI. Walters posted his first double-double of the season with 25 points and 11 rebounds in a 77-73 overtime win over the NEWMAC's WPI on Saturday afternoon. The senior forward shot an impressive 52.6% (10-19 FG) and 5-of-6 from the free throw line. The reigning GNAC Player of the Year also posted a team-high four assists, two steals and a block in the victory.
ALL-TIME VS. BABSON
Babson leads the all-time series over Albertus Magnus, 1-0.
LAST TIME VS. BABSON
Game (11/15/16): Babson 101 | Albertus Magnus 81 - RECAP/BOX SCORE
- Babson enters Wednesday's game with an overall record of 3-2.
- The Beavers had its nine-game road winning streak snapped in a 80-71 loss at Bowdoin on Sunday afternoon
- Last season, Babson won their first program Division III National Championship.
- This season, the Beavers were chosen the finish second according to the NEWMAC preseason poll.
- As a team, Babson averages 86.0 point per game while shooting 49.8 percent from the field, 37.7 percent from behind the arc and 69. Percent from the charity strip.
- Three players are averaging in double-figures for the Beavers.
- The Green and White has limited its first five opponents to 29.6 percent shooting from beyond the arc and just 37.5 percent overall.
ALL-TIME VS. REGIS (MASS.)
This will be the first meeting between the two teams.
- Jaqhawn Walters
- leads the league averaging 23.0 points per game.
- tied second in the league in rebounding with 10.0 rebounds per game.
- Mason Jones
- second in the conference averaging 22.0 points per game.
GNAC RANKINGS - TEAM
- Albertus Magnus leads the conference in - points per game (81.0), offensive rebounds per game (16.5) and rebounds per game (41.0).
Albertus Magnus returns 11 players from last year's squad – Ryan Pittman, Mason Jones, Randy Thomas, Jemaa Yuori, Brian Hardy, Aaron Fox, Jaqhawn Walters, Damian Grant, Jahmerikah Green-Younger, Liam Perrymanand Erick Langston.
MEN'S BASKETBALL LANDS ATOP OF GNAC PRESEASON POLL
Link: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team received nine of 11 first-place votes to land atop the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) preseason poll. The Falcons earned 118 total points and finished 15 points ahead of second-place Johnson & Wales.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons concluded the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 23-5 and a conference mark of 16-2.
- Albertus Magnus won their seventh GNAC title after defeating GNAC rival Lasell College, 101-83, in the championship game.
- Following the win over the Lasers, the Falcons made their sixth appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament.
- Head Coach Mitch Oliver earned his 200th career win in the 85-82 win over Anna Maria back on January 21, 2017.
WALTERS EARNS END OF THE YEAR HONORS
Last year, Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) received year-end honors after finishing his junior year averaging 20.7 points, 13.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. He was named to the 2017 D3Hoops All-American Second Team, 2017 All-Region Second Team and earned a spot on the NABC Division III All-District Second Team. He was also named GNAC Tournament Most Valuable Player after the Falcons defeated Lasell College in the GNAC Championship.
A TRIO OF FALCONS EARN GNAC HONORS
Forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), guard Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) and guard Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.) earned All-Conference honors. Walters was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Player of the Year as well as earned First Team honors. Ellis earned Second Team honors while Coleman earned Third Team. Guard Jemaa Yuori (Ghana) earned a spot on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
YUORI REPRESENTS MEN'S BASKETBALL ON GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) announced its All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year. Fifty-seven student-athletes from Albertus Magnus College were among the 893 members, including Jemaa Yuori.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Keene St., Mitchell and Norwich.