New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team remains undefeated in GNAC action, 8-0, as the Falcons defeated the Lasers of Lasell College, 78-67, in a Saturday afternoon conference tilt at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 78 | Lasell 67
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-4, 8-0) | Lasell (6-9, 4-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus began the game with a 14-8 run, including two three's from Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) eight minutes in. The Lasers came back to within one on two made free throws from Tim Blair to put the score at 22-21 with 6:15 remaining. The Falcons managed to maintain their lead for the remainder of the half and would hold a 30-26 advantage heading into the locker room.
Albertus Magnus came out of the break with a seven-point lead, 38-31, after another made three from Green-Younger. Shortly after, at the 14:58 mark, the Lasers cut the deficit to within three, 40-37, following a trey from Blair.
With 8:42 left to play, Lasell found themselves trailing the hosts by 11, 58-47, before rallying back to within seven, 65-58, at the 3:52 mark after a 11-7 run. Lasell continued to chip away at the Falcons' lead, but was unable to make the comeback as the hosts secured the home win by a score of 78-67.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) 11-point performance pushes his career-point total to 1,474, ranking him fourth all-time.
- Walters now has a total of 962 rebounds and is just 38 shy of recording 1,000. He will be the third player in the program to accomplish this milestone.
- At home, the Falcons ar 6-1.
- Following today's win, the Falcons extend its record to 19-6 in the all-time series.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 37.3% (field goal), 44.4% (three point) and 69% (free throw)
- Lasell - 36.7% (field goal), 32.3% (three point) and 61.9% (free throw)
- The Falcons out-rebounded the Lasers by a 50-37 margin.
- Both team registered 13 turnovers each while the Falcons posted a 14-12 egde in points off turnovers.
- This game saw three ties and four lead changes.
- Sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) led the offensive attack with a team-high 20 points, five rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Tim Blair led the Lasers' offensively with 27 points on 9-of-16 shooting from the field and 7-of-13 showing from behind the arc.
- Along with Green-Younger, junior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) (17 points), A'Jen English (Middlebury, De.) (15 points) and Walters (11 points) also scored in double-figures for the Falcons.
- Green-Younger led the Falcons from behind the arc with four three-pointers while Pittman and English added two apiece.
- The Falcons largest lead of the game was with 1:13 remaining in the second.
- The Lasers largest lead of the game was at the 18:10 mark in the first.
- Albertus Magnus scored 33 of its 78 points in the paint.
Albertus Magnus returns to the court next week against Anna Maria, Regis (Mass.) and Emmanuel (Mass.). Lasell returns home on Tuesday, Jan. 23 against Saint Joseph's of Maine.