New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team picked up its 13th Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) victory of the year on Saturday afternoon at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center, defeating Norwich University by a 79-75 final score.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 79 | Norwich 75
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (16-4, 13-0) | Norwich (9-11, 6-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Norwich controlled the opening five minutes of play as the Cadets held a 10-7 lead before the Falcons battled back, holding a four-point cushion, 16-12, at the 12:07 mark. Albertus Magnus continued to control the tempo and found themselves up 12, 32-20, following two free throws from Jaqhwan Walters (Hartford, Conn.). Norwich would head into the locker room trailing the hosts 35-29.
Seven minutes into the second, Norwich put together a 17-13 run to cut the deficit to within two, 48-46. With less than six minutes remaining in regulation, the Cadets rallied back to within one, 63-62, before regaining the lead, 67-66, at the 3:41 mark thanks to a made baket from Zygimantas Sirvydas.
With the game tied at 73-73 with less than a minute to play, a basket from Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) gave the Falcons a slim two-point advantage, 75-73. Down by four, 77-73, Norwich's Sirvydas made a layup to cut the lead to two, but Hanif Bilal (Winston-Salem, N.C.) calmy hit two more free throws after a foul to seal the 79-75 victory.
- Following today's win, the Falcons are 8-1 at home.
- Albertus Magnus leads Norwich in the all-time series 23-12 with today's win.
- Walters double-double is his 12th straight, 17th overall.
- Sophomore Hanif Bilal (Winston-Salem, N.C.) shot an impressive 100 percent from the charity stripe
- Sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger led the Falcons' offense with a team-high five three's.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 43.3% (field goal), 37.0% (three point) and 64.7% (free throw)
- Norwich - 48.4% (field goal), 44.4% (three point) and 75.0% (free throw)
- This game saw one tie and eight lead changes.
- Albertus Magnus held a 40-33 edge in rebounds and posted 12 second chance points.
- The Falcons scored 34 points in the paint compared to the Cadets who netted 32.
- Norwich won the battle in points off turnovers, 15-12.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) paced the Falcons' offense with a team-high 29 points to go along with 16 rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Green-Younger was the next player to score in double-figures for the Falcons with 15, while Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) rounded out the scoring with 12 points.
- Zygimantas Sirvydas led the Cadets with a 16 points on 6-of-13 shooting from the field and 2-of-4 shooting from behind the arc.
- Mike Hogervorst and Tommy Fitzgerald posted 13 points a piece for the Cadets in the loss.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Tuesday, Feb. 6 as the Falcons host Johnson & Wales in a GNAC home tilt. The Cadets are also home on Tuesday against Mount Ida.