Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (16-4, 13-0)
Johnson & Wales (13-9, 10-2)
Tuesday, Feb. 6 • 7 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (16-4, 13-0)
Saint Joseph's of Maine (13-8, 8-4)
Saturday, Feb. 10 • 4 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team looks to remain undefeated in the GNAC as the Falcons prepare for two crucial games in the week ahead. Albertus Magnus hosts Johnson & Wales on Tuesday evening before battling Saint Joseph's of Maine in a GNAC home tilt on Saturday.
ALL-TIME VS. JOHNSON & WALES
Johnson & Wales holds a 27-23 edge over Albertus Magnus in the all-time series. At home, the Falcons are 16-9 against the Wildcats.
ALL-TIME VS. SAINT JOSEPH'S OF MAINE
Albertus Magnus leads the all-time series over Saint Joseph's of Maine, 14-8. At home, the Falcons are 9-3 against the Monks.
GNAC MEN'S BASKETBALL STANDINGS
|Johnson & Wales (RI)||10-2||13-9|
|Saint Joseph's (Me.)||8-4||13-8|
WALTERS NAMED ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE MALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK and GNAC CORVIAS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) of the men's basketball team has been named as the Albertus Magnus College Male Student-Athlete of Week as well as the GNAC Corvias Male Player of the Week.
Walters averaged 34.5 points, 15. 5 rebounds and 2.5 assists while shooting 59.2 percent (29-49 FG) in a pair of victories last week. He poured in 40 points on 17-of-29 shooting with 15 boards in a win over Suffolk. The reigning GNAC Player of the Year wrapped up the week with 29 points, 16 rebounds, three assists and two steals in a 79-75 GNAC win over Norwich.
- Jaqhawn Walters
- Leads the league in points with 26.5 a game.
- Second in the GNAC in rebounds with 13.8 a game.
- Ranks second in the conference with a 57.3 field goal percentage.
- Amir Maddred
- Fifth in the GNAC in field goal percentage with 55.9 percent.
ALBERTUS MAGNUS TEAM STATS
- averaging 84.1 points and 42.7 rebounds per game.
- shooting – 47.1% (field goal), 33.3% (three point) and 63.6% (free throw)
- assists per game – 10.8
- steals per game - 7.3
- blocks per game – 3.8
- opponents' field goal percentage – 41.5%
- opponents' three-point percentage – 31.5%
- rebound margin per game - 5.0
SENIOR DAY – FEB. 13 VS. SUNY CANTON
Prior to the start of Tuesday's game the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team would like to recognize the accomplishments of its four-member senior class. These four student-athletes have been key contributors to the Falcons' success during their tenure here with the squad and have helped the team improve each season.
- The Falcons finish the first half of the season 5-3 to put them over .500 on the year.
- Albertus Magnus picked up key non-conference wins over WPI and Babson.
- The Falcons posted two two-game winning streaks.
- The team finished the month of December with a 3-2 record, including the 81-80 loss to New Jersey City back on Dec. 16.
- Albertus Magnus is 3-1 at home.
Albertus Magnus returns 11 players from last year's squad – Ryan Pittman, Mason Jones, Randy Thomas, Jemaa Yuori, Brian Hardy, Aaron Fox, Jaqhawn Walters, Damian Grant, Jahmerikah Green-Younger, Liam Perryman and Erick Langston.
MEN'S BASKETBALL LANDS ATOP OF GNAC PRESEASON POLL
Link: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team received nine of 11 first-place votes to land atop the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) preseason poll. The Falcons earned 118 total points and finished 15 points ahead of second-place Johnson & Wales.
TICKETING INFORMATION FOR AMC BASKETBALL GAMES
All Albertus Magnus men's & women's basketball regular-season games are subject to tickets and admission charges. Tickets are $3 for adults/senior citizens and children 12 & under (accompanied by an adult) are free. Albertus Magnus students, faculty and staff receive free admission to the event with a valid ID.
Individual season passes are also available and priced at $20. The season pass allows (1) admission to any/both men's and women's basketball regular-season games.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons concluded the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 23-5 and a conference mark of 16-2.
- Albertus Magnus won their seventh GNAC title after defeating GNAC rival Lasell College, 101-83, in the championship game.
- Following the win over the Lasers, the Falcons made their sixth appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament.
- Head Coach Mitch Oliver earned his 200th career win in the 85-82 win over Anna Maria back on January 21, 2017.
WALTERS EARNS END OF THE YEAR HONORS
Last year, Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) received year-end honors after finishing his junior year averaging 20.7 points, 13.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. He was named to the 2017 D3Hoops All-American Second Team, 2017 All-Region Second Team and earned a spot on the NABC Division III All-District Second Team. He was also named GNAC Tournament Most Valuable Player after the Falcons defeated Lasell College in the GNAC Championship.
A TRIO OF FALCONS EARN GNAC HONORS
Forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), guard Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) and guard Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.) earned All-Conference honors. Walters was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Player of the Year as well as earned First Team honors. Ellis earned Second Team honors while Coleman earned Third Team. Guard Jemaa Yuori (Ghana) earned a spot on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
YUORI LANDS SPOT ON GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) announced its All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year. Fifty-seven student-athletes from Albertus Magnus College were among the 893 members, including Jemaa Yuori.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against SUNY Canton & Johnson & Wales.