Albertus Magnus College
Men's Basketball Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (18-4, 15-0)
SUNY Canton (7-16)
Tuesday, Feb. 13 • 7 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (18-4, 15-0)
Johnson & Wales (14-10, 11-3)
Saturday, Feb. 17 • 1 p.m. • Providence, R.I.
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team looks to end the regular season on a high note as the Falcons prepare for two game in the week ahead. The Falcons welcome SUNY Canton for a Tuesday evening non-conference clash before concluding the regular season on the road at Johnson & Wales on Saturday.
SENIOR DAY – FEB. 13 VS. SUNY CANTON
Prior to the start of Tuesday's game the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team would like to recognize the accomplishments of its four-member senior class. These four student-athletes have been key contributors to the Falcons' success during their tenure here with the squad and have helped the team improve each season.
ALL-TIME VS. SUNY CANTON
This is the first meeting between Albertus Magnus and SUNY Canton.
ALL-TIME VS. JOHNSON & WALES
Johnson & Wales holds a 27-24 edge over Albertus Magnus in the all-time series. On the road, the Falcons are 18-6 against the Wildcats.
LAST TIME VS. JOHNSON & WALES
Game (2/6/18): Albertus Magnus 82 | Johnson & Wales 73 – RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game (2/1/17): Albertus Magnus 87 | Johnson & Wales 63 –RECAP / BOX SCORE
Game (12/2/16): Johnson & Wales 75 | Albertus Magnus 70 (OT) –RECAP / BOX SCORE
School GNAC Overall
Albertus Magnus 15-0 18-4
Johnson & Wales (RI) 11-3 14-10
Saint Joseph's (Me.) 9-5 14-9
Lasell 9-5 11-12
Regis (Mass.) 9-6 12-11
Suffolk 7-7 12-11
Norwich 7-7 10-13
Anna Maria 5-9 8-15
Mount Ida 4-10 10-13
Emmanuel (Mass.) 1-13 2-21
Rivier 1-13 2-21
GNAC CHAMPIONSHIP INFORMATION
Following last Tuesday's win over Johnson & Wales, the men's basketball team clinched the No. 1 seed and home court for the GNAC playoff starting on February 20.
Over the last nine years, the Falcons are 141-17 in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play and this is the sixth time the Falcons earned the No. 1 seed and the regular season title.
Quarterfinals - Tuesday, February 20
Game 1: #1 vs. #8 - TBA
Game 2: #4 vs. #5 - TBA
Game 3: #3 vs. #6 - TBA
Game 4: #2 vs. #7 - TBA
Semifinals - Thursday, February 22
Game 5: #1 vs. #4 - TBA
Game 6: #3 vs. #2 - TBA
Final - Saturday, February 24
Game 7: Game 5 Winner vs. Game 6 Winner - TBA
ALBERTUS MAGNUS TEAM STATS
- averaging 84.1 points and 42.8 rebounds per game.
- shooting – 47.0% (field goal), 34.4% (three point) and 63.4% (free throw)
- assists per game – 10.6
- steals per game - 7.4
- blocks per game – 3.7
- opponents' field goal percentage – 41.7%
- opponents' three-point percentage – 31.4%
- rebound margin per game - 5.1
- Jaqhawn Walters
- Leads the league in points with 26.3 a game.
- Second in the GNAC in rebounds with 14.0 a game.
- Ranks third in the conference with a 56.5 field goal percentage.
- Amir Maddred
- Fifth in the GNAC in field goal percentage with 55.0 percent.
- The Falcons finish the first half of the season 5-3 to put them over .500 on the year.
- Albertus Magnus picked up key non-conference wins over WPI and Babson.
- The Falcons posted two two-game winning streaks.
- The team finished the month of December with a 3-2 record, including the 81-80 loss to New Jersey City back on Dec. 16.
- Albertus Magnus is 3-1 at home.
Albertus Magnus returns 11 players from last year's squad – Ryan Pittman, Mason Jones, Randy Thomas, Jemaa Yuori, Brian Hardy, Aaron Fox, Jaqhawn Walters, Damian Grant, Jahmerikah Green-Younger, Liam Perryman and Erick Langston.
MEN'S BASKETBALL LANDS ATOP OF GNAC PRESEASON POLL
Link: Complete GNAC Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team received nine of 11 first-place votes to land atop the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) preseason poll. The Falcons earned 118 total points and finished 15 points ahead of second-place Johnson & Wales.
TICKETING INFORMATION FOR AMC BASKETBALL GAMES
All Albertus Magnus men's & women's basketball regular-season games are subject to tickets and admission charges. Tickets are $3 for adults/senior citizens and children 12 & under (accompanied by an adult) are free. Albertus Magnus students, faculty and staff receive free admission to the event with a valid ID.
Individual season passes are also available and priced at $20. The season pass allows (1) admission to any/both men's and women's basketball regular-season games.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons concluded the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 23-5 and a conference mark of 16-2.
- Albertus Magnus won their seventh GNAC title after defeating GNAC rival Lasell College, 101-83, in the championship game.
- Following the win over the Lasers, the Falcons made their sixth appearance in the NCAA Division III Tournament.
- Head Coach Mitch Oliver earned his 200th career win in the 85-82 win over Anna Maria back on January 21, 2017.
WALTERS EARNS END OF THE YEAR HONORS
Last year, Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) received year-end honors after finishing his junior year averaging 20.7 points, 13.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. He was named to the 2017 D3Hoops All-American Second Team, 2017 All-Region Second Team and earned a spot on the NABC Division III All-District Second Team. He was also named GNAC Tournament Most Valuable Player after the Falcons defeated Lasell College in the GNAC Championship.
A TRIO OF FALCONS EARN GNAC HONORS
Forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), guard Grant Ellis (Newark, N.J.) and guard Devin Coleman (Bridgeport, Conn.) earned All-Conference honors. Walters was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Player of the Year as well as earned First Team honors. Ellis earned Second Team honors while Coleman earned Third Team. Guard Jemaa Yuori (Ghana) earned a spot on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
YUORI LANDS SPOT ON GNAC ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) announced its All-Academic Team for the 2016-17 school year. Fifty-seven student-athletes from Albertus Magnus College were among the 893 members, including Jemaa Yuori.