Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team earned its first victory of the season as the Falcons topped Regis College by a score of 9-6 on Tuesday evening at Celentano Field in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) clash under the lights.
Freshman Derek Ralston (Guilford, Conn.) recorded a stellar game for the Falcons as the rookie finished with a team-high five points behind two goals and three assists as well as led the defensive unit with three caused turnovers. He also scooped up eight ground balls and was dominate in the face-off circle.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 9 | Regis (Mass.) College 6
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-2, 1-1) | Regis (Mass.) (1-2, 0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half (3-2 REG)
- The first goal came nine minutes in as senior James May (Branford, Conn.) scored for the Falcons off an assist from Ralston.
- Two-and-a-half minutes later, Regis scored its first of the game and evened the contest at 1-1, where it would remain heading into the second quarter.
- The Pride took the lead on a goal by Zach Leighton at the 6:47 mark, but the Falcons answered back seven seconds later with an unassisted goal by Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.).
- The score remained tied until Michael Daras found the back of the net for his second of the game with 27 seconds remaining in the quarter to give the Pride a 3-2 halftime advantage.
Second Half (7-3 AM)
- The Falcons once again tied the match exactly five minutes into the third quarter on a goal by Zachary Librizzi (Warwick, R.I.).
- Tucker Cherry put the Pride back on top 4-3 heading into the fourth quarter after scoring on an extra-man opportunity that started with an illegal procedure penalty by the Falcons.
- Albertus scored five of the next six goals, starting with two goals by Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) off assists by May in a 53-second span.
- Magnifico completed his hat trick with another goal with 6:22 remaining in the quarter, and then Ralston scored twice to give the Falcons an 8-5 advantage.
- Just 17 seconds after Ralston's second goal, May scored on an extra-man opportunity to give the Falcons their biggest lead of the night at 9-5.
- Daras completed his hat trick 35 seconds later as Regis scored its second goal of the night on extra-man opportunities.
- May also was a threat on offense for the Falcons scoring two goals and tallying two assists for four points.
- Stinson collected a team-high nine ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Along with his goal, Librizzi posted an assist.
- Daras led the Pride with three goals and one assist, while Brian Wagner finished with one goal, one assist, and eight ground balls.
- Four difference players registered a team-high two caused turnovers.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) (W, 1-2): 5 Goals-Against | 25 Saves | 30 Shots
- Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.): 1 Goal- Against | 1 Save | 2 Shots
- JJ LaRose (L, 0-2): 9 Goals-Against | 5 Saves | 14 Shots
Albertus continues GNAC play on Saturday, March 23 with a road contest at Lasell College. Game time is set for 12 p.m. in Newton, Mass.