New Haven, Conn. – Junior Tyler Saad (Shelton, Conn.) and freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) netted a pair of goals each to lead the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team past visiting Lasell College, 4-2, on Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-5-1, 3-3-1 GNAC) | Lasell (3-10, 2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Early in the first stanza, the Falcons got on the board first as Oumorou scored his 12th goal of the season off a clean, crisp pass from Diogo Cruz (Naugatuck, Conn,) to give the hosts the early edge, 1-0.
However, Lasell battled back on offense, scoring back-to-back goals just seven minutes apart to take the 2-1 lead heading into halftime. Lasell's Simon Nigro recorded the tying goal at the 11th minute before Kenan Omerbasic scored his fifth goal of the fall to give the visitors the lead.
Albertus Magnus came out firing on all cylinders to start off the second half. Saad tied the game up at two, 2-2, after scoring his first goal of the season after a behind the back pass from Oumorou at the 51st minute. On Saad's tally, Oumorou would register his first collegiate assist.
Oumorou broke through for his second of the day in the 66th minute thanks to a short pass from Justyn Broderick (Orange, Conn.) to give the hosts a 3-2 advantage. The tally put the Falcons ahead for good and was the eventual game-winner. In the 68th minute, Saad gave the hosts some breathing room with his second tally of the game.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Albertus Magnus held a 20-13 advantage in shots and took eight corners compared to just one for the Lasers.
- Junior Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) improves to 6-5-1 on the year, making four saves for the Falcons.
- Lasell goalie Matt Cugno earned his fourth loss of the season as well as made four saves in net.
- Jackson Burhans came in to relieve Cugno in the second half and recorded a save over 18 minutes of play.
- Eight different players for Albertus Magnus registered at least two shots, including a team-high four from Oumorou.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Western Connecticut State University and River University. The clash with the Raiders is slated to begin at 6 p.m. on Saturday, October 14 as part of Homecoming. After a day break, the Lasers will take on Keene State on Monday in non-conference action in Boston, Mass.