Purchase, N.Y. – Freshman Emmanuel Yeboah (Hamden, Conn.) scored the game-winning goal at the 95th minute to lift the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team over hosting SUNY Purchase, 2-1, in overtime on Wednesday evening. Yeboah's first collegiate goal of his young career helps the Falcons advance to 1-2 on the season.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 2 | Purchase 1 (OT)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-2) | Purchase (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Sophomore Abdul Aremu (West Haven, Conn.) broke the scoreless draw at the 39th minute to give the Falcons the 1-0 edge entering halftime. Aremu scored by a low shot in the bottom left corner after receiving a short feed from Yeboah.
Five minutes into the second, Purchase evened the scored at 1-1 following a goal from Yianni Amvrosiatos. For the remainder of the game, it was a defensive battle between Albertus and Purchase as both teams were unable to score forcing the game in overtime.
At the 95th minute of play, Aremu passed the ball through some Purchase defenders to find Yeboah who took a couple dribbles and found the back of the net against keeper Jordan Meade to claim the road win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Purchase outshot Albertus, 25-18.
- The Falcons held the advantage in corners, 9-1.
- Along with his goal and assist, Aremu tallied a team-high five shots while Yeboah posted four shots.
- Rob Cal led the visitors with a game-high seven shots.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus - Joe Russo (W, 1-2): 8 Shots on Goal | 7 Saves | 1 Goal Against | 95:24 minutes
- Purchase - Jordan Meade (L, 0-3): 10 Shots on Goal | 8 Saves | 2 Goals Against | 95:24 minutes
The men's soccer team returns home this Sunday, Sept. 9 as the Falcons host Fisher College. Kick-off is set for 1 p.m. at Celentano Field.