Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - Senior Tyler Saad (Naugatuck, Conn.) scored the game-winning goal at the 85th minute on Wednesday evening at Celentano Field, giving the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team a 3-2 victory over Suffolk University.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 3 | Suffolk 2
RESULTS: Albertus Magnus (3-4-3, 2-1-3) | Suffolk (2-8-1, 2-5-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Midway through the first, Suffolk broke the scoreless draw, 1-0, following an unassisted goal by James Fisher.
Albertus rallied back scoring back-to-back goals at the 62nd and 71st minute to take the 2-1 lead over the Rams. Sophomore Jonathan Beaucejour (Wallingford, Conn.) evened the score netting his second of the season before Kaj Djonne (Sandy Hook, Conn.) netted his first of the year after converting on a nice feed from Beaucejour.
However, Suffolk would battle back evening the score at 2-2, at the 73rd minute, but Saad would find the back of the net against the Rams' keeper, securing the Falcons' home win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Suffolk held the advantage in shots, 13-9.
- Both teams had seven shots on goal.
- Albertus won the battle in corner kicks, 7-3.
- Along with his goal, James Fisher led the Rams in shots with three.
- Djonne and Matt Cotto (Stratford, Conn.) paced the Falcons' offense with three shots a piece.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus - Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) (W, 3-4-3): 7 Shots on Goal | 2 Goals-Against | 5 Saves | 90 minutes
- Suffolk - Tom Bennett (L, 1-4-1): 7 Shots on Goal | 3 Goals-Against | 4 Saves | 90 minutes
The men's soccer team returns to action on Saturday, Oct. 6 as the Falcons travel to New London, N.H. to take on league foe Colby Sawyer. Kick-off is set for 1 p.m.