New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College softball team split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader to Johnson & Wales on Saturday afternoon at the Shea Softball Complex. The Falcons edged past the Wildcats in the opener, 1-0, but the Wildcats sealed the split with a 6-5 win in the night cap.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Albertus Magnus 1 | Johnson & Wales 0
FINAL SCORE (G2): Johnson & Wales 6 | Albertus Magnus 5
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (19-8, 12-2) | Johnson & Wales (17-8, 14-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless three innings, senior Samantha Maselli (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) gave the Falcons the one-run lead, 1-0, after coming in to pinch run for Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.). With two outs and Maselli on second, senior Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) drove in the run as she reached first on a error by the first basemen.
In the top of the sixth, Johnson & Wales threaten the Falcons with runners in scoring position, but solid pitching and defensive work by the hosts sealed the "W".
Sophomore Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) got things started for the Falcons scoring the first run of game two off an RBI triple before the Wildcats tied the game up at 1-1 in the top of the third thanks to a RBI single from Ally Mishol.
The Falcons saw their lead grow to four, 5-1, after collecting back-to-back one run innings and a two-run inning in the bottom of the sixth. However, Johnson & Wales fought back in the top of the seventh scoring five runs on four hits to force the doubleheader spilt, 6-5.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Laura Anderson (W, 6-3) - 7.0 IP | 5 H | 3 BB | 1 SO
- Johnson & Wales: Jennifer Corona (L, 8-5) - 6.0 IP | 3 H | 1 R | 2 BB | 8 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.), Madison Murphy (Milford, Conn.) and Maxine Sanchez (Corona, N.Y.) posted a hit for the Falcons.
- Albertus Magnus was 3-for-20 at home with two walks and eight strikeouts.
- Olivia Digiacomo led the Wildcats with a team-best two hits while three other players collected a hit each.
- The Wildcats posted five hits over 25 at bats in game one.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Kristen Cunning (L, 9-3) – 7.0 IP | 11 H| 6 R | 6 ER | 4 BB | 2 SO
- Johnson & Wales: Noelle Weiss (W, 1-0) – 1.0 IP
- Johnson & Wales Saxon Bresnahan (S,1) – 1.0 IP | 1 H | 1 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) and Anderson led the Falcons with two hits and a run scored each while Esposito collected a game-high three RBI.
- Murphy registered a team-high two runs scored to go along with a hit.
- Tiffani Semanchik recorded a 2-of-3 performance at the plate for the Wildcats as well as posted a run scored and a RBI.
- Katie Rufo collected a team-high three hits over four at bats while also posting two RBI.
- Albertus Magnus finished 9-of-31 against the Wildcat bullpen as well as recorded five RBI, three walks and four strikeouts.
- Johnson & Wales concluded game two with 11 hits over 31 at bats and posted six RBI, four walks and two strikeouts.
Albertus Magnus returns to the diamond, tomorrow April 15 with a road GNAC doubleheader at Saint Joseph's of Maine. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. in Standish, Me