East Boston, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team dropped a pair of Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) games to Suffolk University on Sunday afternoon at Memorial Park. The Falcons came up short, 8-6, in the opener before falling to the Rams in five innings, 11-3, in game two.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Suffolk 8 | Albertus Magnus 6 - 8 innings
FINAL SCORE (G2): Suffolk 11 | Albertus Magnus 3 - 5 innings
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (20-11, 13-6) | Suffolk (23-7, 16-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk opened the game scoring two runs in the bottom of the first thanks to a pair of RBI from Jaclyn Flint and Delaney Sylvester before the Rams found themselves ahead by four, 4-0, after scoring an additional two runs in the bottom of the fourth.
Down 5-0, entering the top of the seventh, bats came alive for the Falcons as the visitors scored five runs on four hits and capitalized on two Rams' errors to even the score at 5-all.
Albertus Magnus continued to swing the bat scoring another run in the top of the eighth following an RBI double from Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.), but Suffolk countered back with three runs in the eighth to secure game one, 8-6.
Suffolk fed off game one opening the nightcap with the early 7-0 lead after scoring five runs in the first and two runs in the second until an RBI from Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) and Daysia Wehder (Bronx, N.Y.) brought the Falcons to within five, 7-2.
However, over the next two and a half inning, Albertus Magnus was only able to score a run in the top of the fifth before falling to the Rams in five, 11-3.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus - Laura Anderson: 5.0 IP | 7 H | 5 R | 4 ER | 2 BB | 2 SO
- Albertus Magnus - Fallon Speers (L,1-1): 2.2 IP | 3 R | 2 ER | 2 BB | 1 HR
- Suffolk - Payton Sylvester (W, 7-3): 1.0 IP | 1 H | 1 R | 2 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Devlin Frost led the Rams with a game-high three hits while tallying three runs scored and two RBi while Payton Sylvester collected a hit and three RBI.
- Sophomore Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) recorded a team-high two hits for the Falcons as well as tallied two RBI and two runs scored.
- Along with Esposito, senior Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.) had two RBI along with here solo hit.
- Suffolk finished game one with a 9-6 edge in hits.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus - Kristen Cunning (L, 9-5): 4.0 IP | 12 H | 11 R | 11 ER | 3 BB | 1 SO | 1 HR
- Suffolk - Taylor Holmes (W, 9-0): 5.0 IP | 6 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 1 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Six different Falcons registered a hit while Esposito posted a game-high two RBI.
- All nine players for Suffolk registered at least a hit, including three players with two hits each.
- Suffolk finished 12-of-27 at the plate while the Falcons posted six hits over 22 at bats.
The softball team returns to the mound on Tuesday, April 24 with a road conference game at Saint Joseph's (Conn.).