New Haven, Conn. – Senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) and junior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team netted a team-high 24 points apiece as the Falcons defeated Mount Ida, 82-57, Tuesday evening in GNAC play.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 82 | Mount Ida 57
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (8-3, 2-1) | Mount Ida (8-4, 1-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus opened the game with a three-point lead, 10-7, behind four straight three-pointer from Johnson four minutes in. The Falcons then went on an 8-0 run to push their lead to double-digits, before finding themselves ahead 21-9 with 3:42 remaining in the first. Both teams traded baskets and the Mustangs would trail by 10, 23-13, entering the final 10 minutes of the half.
The Falcons continued their run into the second and with 3:35 left on the clock the hosts took its biggest lead of the half, 37-18, on a layup from Bolden. Mount Ida would head into the locker room trailing the hosts 43-27.
Mount Ida continued to chip away at the Falcons' lead and brought the score to within 13, 48-35, at the 4:16, but Albertus Magnus scored 16 of the quarter's final 21 points to take a 63-38 cushion that held up over the last 10 minutes of action.
- The Falcons were just two rebounds shy of tying their season-high of 62.
- Following tonight's win, the Falcons are 3-1 at home.
- Albertus Magnus is currently fourth in the GNAC standings along with Johnson & Wales who also have a conference mark of 2-1.
- With today's win, the Falcons are now 10-5 against the Mustangs in the all-time series.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus – 40.8% (field goal), 20% (three-point) and 52.0% (free throw)
- Mount Ida – 27.0 % (field goal), 9.1% (three-point) and 55.6% (free throw)
- Bolden also collected her 10th double-double of the season behind a season-best 21 rebounds, two assists, two steals and 24 points.
- Johnson recorded an impressive game as the junior forward shot 61.5% from the field and 50 percent from behind the arc to go along with six rebounds, three assists and four steals.
- The Falcons out rebounded the Mustangs by a 60-53 edge and posted a 14-10 advantage in second chance points.
- Mount Ida was led by Valerie Martino who posted a double-double, 19 points and 18 rebounds, on 6-of-20 shooting from the field and 7-of-12 shooting from the free throw line.
- This GNAC contest saw four lead changes while the Falcons held their largest lead of the game, with 27, with two minutes remaining.
- Both teams posted 15 offensive rebounds each.
- In the first period alone, Johnson scored 15 of her 24 points while shooting over 80 percent from the floor and three point range.
- Over the final 10 minutes of play, Albertus Magnus and Mount Ida totaled 19 points each.
Albertus Magnus returns to action against Rivier University on Thursday, Jan. 11 at 5 p.m. Mount Ida also will resume play on Thursday against Emmanuel (Mass.).