Link: Box Score
Boston, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team saw its six-game winning streak come to an end as the Falcons fell on the road to Suffolk University, 70-54, Saturday afternoon in GNAC play.
FINAL SCORE: Suffolk 70 | Albertus Magnus 54
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (9-4, 3-2) | Suffolk (11-2, 4-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Suffolk opened the first with the early 15-8 lead just four minutes in before a short 4-0 spurt by the visitors brought the score to within four, 15-11. However, Suffolk closed out the quarter with a 10-2 run to take a 21-17 lead heading into the second.
Albertus Magnus battled to within three point twice to start off the quarter until back-to-back baskets gave the hosts a seven-point lead, 33-26, with 2:14 left. Senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) brought the Falcons to within five, 33-28, on a made layup, but the visitors would remain trailing the Rams, 37-28, heading into halftime.
The Falcons were unable to get a rally going in the third as the visitors were outshot 16-7 and were down 53-35 entering the final 10 minutes of play.
Despite, outshooting the hosts 19-17 in the fourth quarter, Albertus Magnus was unable to secure the come back and fell on the rod 70-54.
- Suffolk leads all-time series 16-7
- Olivia Bolden's (South Windsor, Conn.) 13 performance pushes her career-point total to 1,738 ranking her second all-time.
- Bolden now has a total of 962 rebounds and is just 38 shy of recording 1,000. She will be the third player in the program to accomplish this milestone.
- Suffolk remains undefeated in the GNAC with a 4-0 record.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 32.1% (field goal), 38.1% (three point) and 48.0% (free throw)
- Suffolk - 41.7% (field goal), 25.7% (three point) and 80% (free throw)
- Along with Bolden, senior Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) and junior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) also scored in double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Suffolk also had three players score in double figures, including a pair of double-doubles from Alexis Hackett and Georgia Bourikas.
- The Falcons posted a 0-8 edge over the Rams in points off turnovers.
- The Rams dominated in the paint, 22-12, and in second chance points 11-5.
- Johnson led the Falcons in steals with four and in assists with two.
- Freshman Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) led the defensive unit with two blocks while Alexis Hackett led the Rams' in blocks with three.
- Junior Kristen Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) shot an impressive 100 percent (3-of-3) from behind the arc.
Albertus Magnus returns to the court on Tuesday, Jan. 16 as the Falcons host in-state foe Saint Joseph's (Conn.) at 6 p.m. in a GNAC home clash. Suffolk will return to action next Thursday against Norwich.