New Haven, Conn. - Senior Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team recorded 16 rebounds to become the third player in program history to record 1,000 career rebounds as the Falcons shutdown Johnson & Wales University, 72-55, in GNAC action on Saturday afternoon at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 72 | Johnson & Wales 55
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-5, 5-3) | Johnson & Wales (10-7, 6-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was an evenly matched opening quarter as the Wildcats led by two, 11-9, heading into the final 10 minutes of the half. Three minutes into the second, Albertus Magnus took its second lead of the game, 14-13, on a layup from Bolden before Johnson & Wales regained the lead shortly after. With the score in favor of the visitors, 21-19, Albertus Magnus rallied together an 8-4 run to close out the frame with a 27-25 lead heading into halftime.
Similar to the first quarter, both teams battled back-and-forth for the lead as the Falcons held a 46-42 lead at the end of the third after outscoring the visitors, 19-17.
Down four, the Wildcats cut the margin to 46-44 just 27 seconds into the final frame. After the Falcons built the lead to 58-49, Johnson & Wales cut it to five (60-55) on an Ally Mishol three-pointer with 3:38 remaining. Unfortunately, that would be the Wildcats last basket the rest of the game.
- Bolden's 24-point performance pushes her career-point total to 1,802 ranking her second all-time.
- Following today's win, the Falcons cut the all-time series record with the Wildcats to 12-11.
- The last time Albertus magnus beat Johnson & Wales was back in 2013 when the Falcons won on the won by a score of 84-77.
- This season, the Falcons are 5-1 at home.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 41.2% (field goal), 31.8% (three point) and 47.4% (free throw)
- Johnson & Wales - 28.4% (field goal), 31.3% (three point) and 53.3% (free throw)
- Along with her 16 rebounds, Bolden posted a team-high 24 points, an assists and a steal in the win.
- Junior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) and freshman Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) tallied 11 points a piece while senior Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers with a season-best 14 points.
- Ally Mishol produced her third double-double of the year with 11 points and 11 rebounds for the Wildcats.
- Raquel Pederzani was JWU's top scorer with 13 points on 6-of-24 shooting from the field.
- This game saw 16 lead changes and four ties.
- Johnson & Wales held a 52-51 edge in rebounding, but the Falcons posted a 16-11 advantage in second chance points.
- Piccirillo led the Falcons in three point shooting with four, one in the first and three in second.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Anna Maria and Emmanuel (Mass.). Johnson & Wales is home on Thursday to take on Suffolk at 7 p.m.