Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball fell at home to Saint Joseph's of Maine by a score of 74-39 on Saturday afternoon at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL SCORE: Saint Joseph's (Me.) 74 | Albertus Magnus 39
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (15-7, 9-5) | Saint Joseph's (Me.) (22-1, 14-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Saint Joseph's of Maine jumped out to an impressive 24-9 lead and closed out the final 10 minutes of the first half with a 28-point advantage, 46-18.
Junior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) paced the Falcons' offense in the first half with six points. Saint Joseph's of Maine Kelsi McNamara and Julia Champagne totaled 25 of the Monks' 46 first half points.
In the third quarter, Saint Joseph's of Maine continued to dominate pushing its lead to 38, 63-25, heading into the the fourth and final quarter.
Despite the Falcons, outscoring the Monks by a 14-11 edge, Saint Joseph's of Maine put the game out of reach in the fourth en route to its 14th straight GNAC victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 32.6% (field goal), 26.7% (three point) and 31.3% (free throw)
- Saint Joseph's (Me.) - 37% (field goal), 50% (three point) and 64.3% (free throw)
- The Monks out rebounded the hosts 49-36 as well as posted a 19-5 edge in second chance points.
- Saint Joseph's tallied 23 points off turnovers compared to the Falcons who score only six.
- Johnson posted a team-high 13 points on 5-of-14 shooting from the field to go along with four rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Freshman Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) led the Falcons' defense with a team-high five blocks while Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) added two blocks of her own.
- Emily Benway of Saint Joseph's posted a double-double in the victory, 23 points and 23 rebounds.
- Kelsi McNamara led the Monks' offense with a team-high 28 points on 6-of-21 shooting from the field and 4-of-8 showing from three-point range.
- This game saw one tie and the largest lead of the game of Monks was 41 at 5:15.
- Albertus Magnus scored in single digits in the first, second and third quarters.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Johnson & Wales and Simmons.
SENIOR DAY - FEB. 17
Prior to the start of Saturday's game the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team would like to recognize the accomplishments of its two-member senior class. These two student-athletes have been key contributors to the Falcons' success during their tenure here with the squad and have helped the team improve each season.