Link: Box Score
Weston, Mass. - After a nine-rebound performance in a 51-49 road win over fourth-seeded Regis (Mass.) in the quarterfinals of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Women's Basketball Tournament, senior forward Olivia Bolden (South Windsor, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team passed Natalia Perlaza as the program's all-time leading rebounder with 1,120 and counting.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 51 | Regis (Mass.) 49
RECORDS: #5 Albertus Magnus (18-7) | #4 Regis (Mass.) (15-11)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Regis (Mass.) controlled the opening quarter, holding a nine-point advantage, 17-8, heading into the final 10 minutes of the first half. Albertus Magnus was able to answer back in the second quarter cutting the lead to within two, 28-26, but the visitors would trail 31-28 at the half.
Three minutes into the third, Kikki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) tied the game at 33-33 on a made jumper before an 11-4 run by the Pride extended their lead to seven, 44-37, with 1:20 left in the frame.
Down by five, 46-41, entering the final 10 minutes of play, Albertus Magnus started off the fourth quarter hot with a 7-2 run tying the game at 48-all.
Sam D'Angelo put home one of two free throws with 1:10 remaining to put the Pride up by one, but Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) responded at the other end of the floor by hitting two free throws of her own to put the Falcons ahead for good.
- This is the Falcons sixth-straight GNAC postseason appearance, extending their all-time total to 17.
- Albertus Magnus holds an all-time postseason record of 11-16.
- Bolden's 20-point performance extends her career-total to 1,996 points, just four shy of recording her 2,000th career tally.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 37.3% (field goal), 20% (three point) and 73.7% (free throw)
- Regis (Mass.) - 31.1% (field goal), 23.8% (three point) and 42.9% (free throw)
- This game battled through five ties and three lead changes.
- Regis (Mass.) out rebounded the visitors by a 43-36 margin as well as posted a 19-4 advantage in second chance points.
- Junior Kiki Epps (Norwalk, Conn.) was the next player to finish in double-figures for the Falcons with 14 points, seven rebounds, two assists and a block.
- Both Brittany Stone (17 points, 11 rebounds) and Sam D'Angelo (11 points, 11 rebounds) finished with double-doubles for the Pride.
- All five of the Falcons' starters recorded a block.
- Both team registered 14 turnovers apiece.
- The Pride capitalized on the Falcons' mistakes recorded 17 points compared to the visitors who recorded only eight.
- Albertus Magnus dominated scoring 30 of its 51 points in the paint.
Following tonight's win, Albertus Magnus advances to the GNAC Semifinals for the first time since 2013 as the Falcons take on top-seeded Saint Joseph's of Maine.
Tuesday, February 20 - Quarterfinals
Game 1: #8 Mount Ida 54 | #1 Saint Joseph's Maine 83
Game 2: #5 Albertus Magnus 51 | #4 Regis (Mass.) 49
Game 3: #6 Johnson & Wales 46 | #3 Suffolk 68
Game 4: #7 Norwich 52| #2 Emmanuel 79
Thursday, February 22 - Semifinals
Game 5: #5 Albertus Magnus at #1 Saint Joseph's Maine - TBA
Game 6: #3 Suffolk at #2 Emmanuel (Mass.) - TBA
Saturday, February 24 - Final
Game 7: Highest remaining seed