Link: Box Score
Montclair, N.J. - Senior Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) and junior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) recorded a pair of double-digit performances as the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team improves to 3-0 on the season after defeating Saint Lawrence, 57-52, in the championship game of the Rose City Classic on Sunday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 57 | Saint Lawrence 52
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus College (3-0) | Saint Lawrence (2-1)
ALL-TIME SERIES RECORD: Albertus earns the program's first win over Saint Lawrence and holds a 1-0 edge in the all-time series.
ROSE CITY CLASSIC ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Kim Calloway (Montclair State)
Hailey Stine (Drew)
Jill Johnson (Albertus)
Katie Frederick (St. Lawrence)
- Saint Lawrence and Albertus battled back-and-forth for the majority of the quarter, registering three ties.
- Down by three, 14-11, Osmond would bring the Falcons to within one 14-13, on a made jumper with a second remaining.
- Similar to the first, Albertus and Saint Lawrence traded leads until a short spurt by the Saints extended their lead to five, 27-22, with three minutes left in the quarter.
- Albertus would head into the locker room down five, 31-26.
- Albertus started off the third with a 12-4 run to take its first lead, 38-35, since the 5:31 mark in the second.
- With less than a minute to go, Saint Lawrence would regain the lead, 43-42, following a made free throw from Annabella Pugliese, but Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) would end the quarter with a made free throw, tying the game at 43-43.
- Despite trailing early in the fourth, 45-43, Albertus put together a 10-5 run to push its lead to three, 53-50, with 4:28 left to play.
- Albertus was able seal the non-conference win, 57-52, as the Falcons closed out regulation with a 4-2 run.
- Shyla Osmond - 23 points (9-21 FG, 3-6 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 1 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Jill Johnson (7-18 FG, 0-2 3PT, 3-10 FT) - 17 points | 1 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Rah Rah Thompson - 9 points (3-8 FG, 1-1 3PT, 2-4 FT) | 14 rebounds | 2 steals
- Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) (3-7 FG) - 6 points | 10 rebounds | 2 blocks
- Chelsea Van Tassel - 12 points | 11 rebounds | 2 steals
- Katie Frederick - 11 points | 12 rebounds | 1 assist
- Annabella Pugliese - 12 points | 13 rebounds | 2 assists
The women's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday, November 27th as the Falcons host in-state rival Western Connecticut State University in a non-conference showdown at "The Nest". Tip-off is set for 5 p.m. in New Haven, Conn.