New Haven, Conn. - Behind a six-point performance from sophomore Courtney Cacace (Brookfield, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team defeated Newbury College, 14-2, in non-conference action Sunday afternoon at Celentano Field.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 14 | Newbury 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-2) | Newbury (0-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
With the scored tied at 1-1, Albertus Magnus went on a 6-0 scoring to take a 7-1 lead at the half. Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.) led the Falcons in the first scoring all three goals, including two man-up goals.
Newbury's Hannah Gorham opened the second half scoring her first goal of the game, bringing the score to within five, 7-2, but the Falcons managed to close out regulation with a 7-0 run to secure the home win.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus - Lexie Fenn (2-2): 2 Goals-Against | 1 Saves | 3 Shots
- Albertus Magnus - Grace Vestro: 0 Goals-Against | 0 Saves | 0 Shots
- Newbury - Keely Molloy (0-4): 14 Goals-Against | 15 Saves | 29 Shots
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus outshot the Nighthawks, 37-4, and recorded a 33-21 edge in ground balls.
- Freshman Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.) recorded her second hat trick of the season as well as added five ground balls, two draw controls and a caused turnover.
- Sophomore Sabrina Pohlig (West Palm Beach, Fla.) led the Falcons with six ground balls and three caused turnovers, along with Cacace.
- Both teams tallied nine draw controls.
- The Falcons were 2-of-5 in free position shots and 18-of-23 in clears.
- Newbury finished the game 0-of-1 in free position shots and 13-of-20 in clears.
- Hannah Gorham led the Nighthawks with six ground balls.
- Venezia Delgadillo posted a team-best five draw controls as well as added five ground balls.
Albertus Magnus returns to Celentano Field on Tuesday, March 27 with a home non-conference game against Dean.