Albertus Magnus College
Women's Soccer Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (3-3-1, 2-2-1)
Emmanuel (Mass.) (4-5-1, 3-0-1)
Tues., Sept. 26 • 7 p.m. • Boston, Mass.
Albertus Magnus (3-3-1, 2-2-1)
Anna Maria (0-5, 0-3)
Sat., Sept. 30 • 1 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
A NEW WEEK
Following a 1-0-1 week, the Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team returns to action this week as the Falcons take on Emmanuel (Mass.) on Tuesday evening and Anna Maria on Saturday afternoon.
WEEK FOUR RECAP
Game 6: Johnson & Wales 4 | Albertus Magnus 1 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
Game Six Highights:
- Freshman Sophia Austin (East Hartford, Conn.)Austin opened the scoring for the Falcons just 35 seconds into the contest after finding the back of the net for her fourth goal of the season.
- Junior Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) registered a total of 11 saves in the losing effort for Albertus Magnus.
Game 7: Albertus Magnus 2 | Rivier 2 (OT) – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
Game Seven Highlights:
- Freshman Sophia Austin (East Hartford, Conn.) scored her fifth goal of the season on a header.
- Junior transfer Tiana Cass (Torrington, Conn.) potted a goal at the 60th minute to tie the game at 2-2. Cass's tally capped the scoring in both regulation and the contest as both squads failed to break through for the remainder of the game.
- Junior Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) made three saves in 110 minutes of action for the visitors
PICCIRILLO LEADS PROGRAM ASSISTS
Following last week's performance, senior Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) leads the all-time in assists for the Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team. Piccirillo walked away with two assists after Friday's conference game against Rivier, tying her career high of six assists in a single season and awarding her with the new program high of 18 assists. Piccirillo moved past Amanda Roke '13 and Shelley Mirmina '13 who both had 16.
PICCIRILLO NAMED ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE FEMALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Senior Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) of the women's soccer team has been named as the Albertus Magnus College Female Student-Athlete of Week.
Piccirillo's two-assist performance at Rivier University on Friday evening landed her atop the programs' all-time list with 18 helpers for her career. She entered the season with 12 assists and through six games this autumn she has moved past Amanda Roke '13 and Shelley Mirmina '13 to hold the new school record.
LAST TIME VS EMMANUEL
Game (10/1/16): Emmanuel (Mass.) 2 | Albertus Magnus 0 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
LAST TIME VS ANNA MARIA
Game (9/24/16): Albertus Magnus 4 | Anna Maria 0 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
INSIDE THE STATS
- Angelina Piccirillo
- leads the conference in assists with six.
- Lexie Fenn:
- leads the conference with 56 saves.
- fifth in the league with a .789 save percentage.
THIS YEAR NOTES
- Albertus Magnus returns one All-GNAC player from last year's team.
- The Falcons welcome 10 newcomers to the club in 2017.
- Head Coach Nick Wajnowski enters the season with a 103-70-20 record, including a 66-38-12 mark in conference play.
- Albertus Magnus returns 10 players from last year's squad.
- The Falcons have made eight straight appearances in the GNAC Tournament.
- Albertus Magnus is in search of its first season-opening win since 2012. Albertus Magnus began that year with a 3-0 blanking of in-state foe Coast Guard at home. Last fall, the team lost 3-0 to Wentworth.
GNAC WOMEN'S SOCCER PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete Release
The Albertus Magnus College women's soccer team was picked to finish fifth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Coaches' Poll.
A QUICK LOOK BACK AT LAST YEAR
- It was a record-breaking year in 2016 for the women's soccer team, as new program-bests were set and the team earned it's first-ever berth in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Championship.
- The team saw its season come to an end with a 2-1 setback against top-seeded Lasell in the conference championship.
- The Falcons ended the fall with an 11-8-1 overall record and were the No. 3 seed in the GNAC Tournament thanks to posting a 7-3-1 mark in league play.
- Head Coach and alum Nick Wajnowski earned his 100th career victory in a 7-0 thumping of Suffolk at home in mid-October.
- Wajnowski is the winningest coach in program history and he has been on the bench for 103 of the school's all-time wins.
NOTEWORTHY STATS FROM 2016-17
- The Albertus Magnus defense ranked third in the conference in goals-against average and recorded nine shutouts.
- The team was one of three in the league that allowed less than one goal per game.
PICIRRILLO EARNS NSCAA ALL-NEW ENGLAND HONORS
Women's soccer player Angelina Picirrillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) earned a spot on the 2016 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) All-New England Team. She becomes the fifth player in program history to earn NSCAA All-New England distinction and the first since teammate Danielle Polvan(East Haven, Conn.) picked up third-team honors in 2014. Piccirillo was one of five Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) players to earn regional recognition this autumn.
POLVAN LEADS THE PROGRAM
Former Falcon standout Danielle Polvan became the school's all-time leader in goals last season. In a non-conference win against Mitchell, she scored four markers to move past Sam Gigliotti '10 and Danielle Figueroa '12 to hold the new school record. During her senior season, she also became the program's all-time leader in points with 85. In conference play, she netted five goals and added three assists for 13 points.
The Falcons return to action next week Simmons and Regis (Mass.)