New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College women's tennis team concluded the 2017 regular season with a 9-0 victory against visiting York (N.Y.) on Sunday afternoon in non-conference play at the Celentano Courts.
Prior to the match, the women's tennis team honored its lone senior Kelsea Wildman (Hamden, Conn.) for her contribution to the program over the last four seasons.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-7) | York (N.Y.) (0-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The hosts got off to a quick start, taking all three doubles matches to build an early lead. At No. 1 doubles, the duo of Alicia Weaver (Bethel, Conn.) and Izzy Sabino (Cheshire, Conn.) got things started defeating Cris Bautista and Isabelle Martinez, 8-0. The duo of Jessica Coughlin (Durham, Conn.) and Kelsea Wildman (Hamden, Conn.) put the Falcons up 2-0 after taking No. 2 doubled by a score of 8-0. Paige Williams (Orange County, Va.) and Lahkena Rath (Danbury, Conn.) rounded out doubles play with an 8-0 win at No. 3.
In singles play, the hosts pulled away and sealed the victory by taking all six contests. In her final collegiate home match, Wildman scored a 6-0, 6-0 straight win at No. 4.
1. Alicia Weaver (AMC) def. Cris Bautista (York) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jessica Coughlin (AMC) def. Isabelle Martinez (York) 6-0, 6-0
3. Izzy Sabino (AMC) def. Preciosa Pinedo (York) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kelsea Wildman (AMC) def. Crystal Perez (York) 6-0, 6-0
5. Lakhena Rath (AMC) def. May Thu Thway (York) 6-0, 6-0
6. Paige Williams (AMC) def. Keanya Garries (York) 6-0, 6-0
1. Weaver/Sabino (AMC) Bautista/Martinez (York) 8-0
2. Coughlin/Wildman (AMC) def. Pinedo/Perez (York) 8-0
3. Williams/Rath (AMC) def. Thway/Garries (York) 8-0
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Wednesday, October 18, with a road contest against Simmons or Suffolk in the opening round of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament.
Wednesday, October 18 - First Round
Match 1: #6 Albertus Magnus at #3 Simmons/Suffolk
Match 2: #5 Saint Joseph (CT) at #4 Simmons/Suffolk
**The SIM/SUF winner will be the #3 seed; the loser will be the #4 seed.
Saturday, October 21 - Semifinals (Winchester Indoor Tennis Center)
Match 3: #4/5 winner vs. #1 JWU - 2PM
Match 4: #3/6 winner vs. #2 Regis (Mass.) - 4:30PM
Sunday, October 22 - Championship (Winchester Indoor Tennis Center)