Purchase, N.Y. - Behind a pair of double-double performances from senior Marielis Muriel (New Haven, Conn.) and freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team edged past SUNY Purchase, 3-1, in non-conference action on Tuesday evening.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 3 | SUNY Purchase 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (10-6) | SUNY Purchase (0-8)
SET SCORES: 25-21 (AMC), 22-25 (SP), 25-20 (AMC), 25-20 (AMC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was an evenly matched opening set as both teams traded points and led for no more than three points. Up by one, 21-20, Albertus Magnus was able to seal the win, 25-21, following a 4-1 run sparked by a kill from Kimberly Keller (Brideport, Conn.).
The Panthers managed to tie the match at 1-1 after defeating the Falcons by three, 25-22.
However, Albertus Magnus was able to secure the road win, defeating SUNY Purchase by five points in the third and fourth, respectively.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- All sets were determined by five points or fewer.
- For the Panthers, Maura Gribbins finished the night with a match-high 18 kills, pairing that with three aces and one assist.
- The trio of Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.), Kimberly Keller (Bridgeport, Conn.) and Delaney Ruiz (Meriden, Conn.) combined for 29 total kills, including a team-high 12 from Luquis.
- Keller added three blocks, while setter Marielis Muriel (New Haven, Conn.) dished 34 assists. Muriel also contributed 15 digs on the defensive end.
- Albertus Magnus held a 41-33 edge in kills, but the Panthers led the advantage in digs, 83-76.
Albertus Magnus plays host to Anna Maria and Suffolk on Saturday, October 30 in a GNAC tri-match at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.