New Haven, Conn. – Despite a double-double performance from senior Nicole Beard (Shelton, Conn.) and freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team dropped a five-set heartbreaker to New Jersey City, 3-2, on Tuesday evening in non-conference play at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-8) | New Jersey City (9-8)
SET SCORES: 25-22 (AMC), 26-24 (NJC), 25-22 (NJC), 25-20 (AMC) AND 15-12 (NJC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus managed to slide past New Jersey City, 25-22, to take the 1-0 lead heading into set two, following a 12-kill performance from the Falcons' offense.
During the second frame, both Albertus Magnus and New Jersey City battled through 12 ties, forcing the set to go into extra points. Up 24-23, Albertus Magnus was unable to secure the win as the visitors closed out the frame with three straight points, 26-24, to tie the match at 1-1.
New Jersey City carried its momentum into the third set as the visitors defeated the hosts by three, 25-22.
Albertus Magnus forced the fifth frame as the Falcons came back in the next set, 25-20, behind a 15-kill performance.
In an evenly match fifth and final set, New Jersey City came up on top to secure the road win, 15-12.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Beard recorded her fifth double-double of the season as well as set a new career-high in assists with 50 to go along with 17 digs, five aces and a kill.
- Cora Luquis registered his eighth double-double of the season as the rookie tallied 13 kills, 14 digs and two block assists.
- Senior Delaney Ruiz (Meriden, Conn.) paced the Falcons' offence with a season-high 17 kills and five digs.
- Ayleen Pittar of New Jersey City also recorded a double-double, 14 kills and 17 digs, while Pamela Florimon rounded out the double-digit scorers for the visitors with 10 kills.
- The Falcons held the advantage in kills, 57-51, but the Knights dominated defensively at the net recording 21 blocks, compared to the Falcons' 10.
- The 57 kills for the Falcons is a new season-high for the team.
Albertus Magnus returns to the court on Saturday, October 7th as the Falcons face Lasell and Johnson & Wales in a GNAC tri-match in Providence, R.I. Match times are set for 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.