New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College women's volleyball team finished the 2017 season with an overall record of 16-14 as the Falcons swept Emmanuel (Mass.) College in straight sets, 3-0, Saturday afternoon at the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center on Senior Day.
Prior to the start of the match, the women's volleyball honored its three-member senior class – Marielis Muriel (New Haven, Conn.), Ana Gomez (New Haven, Conn.) and Nicole Beard (Shelton, Conn.) – for their accomplishment on and off the court.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (16-14, 4-8) | Emmanuel (6-22, 4-8)
SET SCORES: 25-15 (AMC), 25-18 (AMC) and 25-22 (AMC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was a quick first set as the Falcons defeated the Saints, 25-15, to take the 1-0 lead heading into set two.
Behind a six-kill performance from freshman Genesis Cora Luqis (Meriden, Conn.), the Falcons would extend their lead to 2-0 heading into the third frame. Down by one, 17-16, Albertus Magnus rallied together a 9-1 run to close out the frame and earn the second set victory, 25-18.
Emmanuel fought back in the final frame as an attack error by the hosts brough the score to within one, 22-21. However, the Falcons maintained their composured and ended the frame with a 3-1 run, 25-22.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Albertus Magnus won the battle at the net hitting an impressive .234 behind a 33-kill performance.
- The Falcons held a 9-6 edge over the Saints in blocks.
- Freshman Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) paced the Falcons' offense with 13 kills, nine digs, two blocks and a service ace.
- Casey Sheehan posted a team-high eight kills for the visitors as well as added eight digs.
- Sophomore Jesselle Guzman (Santa Teresa, N.M.) tied her season-high in services with five.
- Beard concluded her senior year assisting 28 of the Falcons 33 kills against the Saints.