Myrtle Beach, S.C. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team split a non-conference doubleheader to Mount Aloysius on Wednesday afternoon as part of the Ripken Experience. The Mounties snapped the Falcons four-game winning streak with a 4-2 win in game one, but the Falcons battled back to take game two, 4-1.
THE BASICS (Game 1)
FINAL: Mount Aloysius 4 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-1) | Mount Aloysius (7-2)
WHAT HAPPENED (Game 1)
- Mount Aloysius jumped out to an early 2-0 lead following back-to-back one-run innings.
- Albertus managed to even the score at 2-2 in the bottom of the third thanks to senior Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) and freshman Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.).
- With no outs and runners on first and second, Browne doubled to left center driving in Nhasean Murphy (Manchester, Conn.) and putting Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) in scoring position. Despite earning the second out of the inning, Clark kept things going with an RBI groundout to allow Harris to cross home. The Falcons' rally came up short as the offensive unit managed to leave Browne on third following a groundout to the first basemen.
- The Mounties regained the lead, 3-2, in the top of the sixth and managed to score an additional run in the top of the seventh to seal the win, 4-2.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Albertus threatened Mount Aloysius with the tying run on second, but a fly out to left field by Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) ended the game.
KEY STATS (Game 1)
- Browne and Harris finished game one with a team-high two hits apiece.
- Mount Aloysius held a 9-8 edge in hits.
- Senior Daunte Brinkley (Hartford, Conn.) earned the loss on the mound for the Falcons.
THE BASICS (Game 2)
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 4 | Mount Aloysius 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (5-1) | Mount Aloysius (7-3)
WHAT HAPPENED (Game 2)
- Freshman Elijah Spataj (Cheshire, Conn.) got things started for the Falcons, scoring the first run of the game off a sacrifice fly to left to give the Falcons the early edge, 1-0. With one out, Albertus loaded the bases following a walk, a fielder's choice and another walk before Spataj drove in Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) from third.
- After allowing a run in the opening at bat, the Mounties were able to tie the game at 1 in the bottom half.
- Albertus began pulling away with the lead scoring two runs in the third thanks to a home run from Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) and an RBI double from Daniel Kennedy (Manchester, Conn.).
- Up 3-1 entering the top of the fourth, Brandon Clark (North Haven, Conn.) drove in Harris from third, despite collecting the second out of the inning, giving the Falcons a three-run cushion, 4-1.
- Despite collecting 6 walks, the Mounties were only able to muster one hit in the final six innings of the game, stranding six runners on base.
KEY STATS (Game 2)
- Brendan Clark (North Haven, Conn.) earned the win on the mound for the Falcons. The rookie allowed only three hits over 20 at bats and struck out three.
- Warren's home run in the third was his second of the season.
- Browne led the Falcons for a second straight game with two hits.
- Three different players registered an RBI each.
Albertus returns to the diamond on Thursday, March 14 with a non-conference doubleheader against Dean College. Game times are set for 10 AM and 12:45 PM in Myrtle Beach.