Link: Box Score
Purchase, N.Y. – The Albertus Magnus College baseball team suffered a 3-2 loss to Purchase College on Wednesday afternoon in non-conference action.
FINAL: Purchase 3 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-3) | Purchase (5-4)
- Albertus opened the game with a two-run cushion behind a two-run RBI double from junior Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.). With one out and runners on second and third, Warren connected for his second double of the season allowing Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) and Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) to score.
- Purchase cut the deficit in half, 2-1, in the bottom of the second after scoring one run one two hits.
- The Panthers remained active at the plate, evening the score at 2-2 in the bottom of the fourth on a RBI double from Patrick Wallace before finding themselves up one, 3-2, at the end of the sixth thanks to a sacrifice fly from Nick Tuozzola.
- A half inning later, Albertus threatened Purchase with runners on first and second, but the hosts stopped the tying run from scoring with an out at home. Despite two outs, Albertus managed to load the bases until a fly out to center field ended the inning.
- Albertus had two more opportunities to send the game into extra innings, but came up short in the end.
- Both Browne and Clark finished the game with two hits and a run scored.
- Junior Jay Palais (Farmington, Conn.) picked up the loss for Albertus.
- Sophomore Brandon Fowler (Lexington, S.C.) and freshman Alan Stinson (Watertown, Conn.) made appearances on the mound.
- The Panthers were led offensively by John Fitzgerald who posted a game-high three hits to go along with three runs.
- Wallace contributed two of the Panthers' six hits.
Albertus continues non-conference play with a road contest at Eastern Connecticut State University on Friday, March 22. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.