Link: Box Score
West Hartford, Conn. - Junior Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.) recorded his third double-double of the season behind 15 points and a game-high 11 rebounds as the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team knocked off league newcomer University of Saint Joseph's (CT), 88-84, Tuesday evening in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) clash at the O'Connell Center.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 88 | University of Saint Joseph's (CT) 84
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (14-7, 6-2) | Saint Joseph's (CT) (13-10, 4-5)
ALL-TIME SERIES: Albertus earns its first program win over Saint Joseph's (CT).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- USJ took the early lead on three from Chris Childs before an 8-0 run by the Falcons gave the visitors the early 8-3 edge two minutes in.
- A layup from Jake Sullivan sparked a 6-0 run that put the hosts up one, 9-8, but Albertus managed to regain the lead, 16-9, after a short rally that included four points from freshman Michael Richardson (Bronx, N.Y.).
- Albertus continued to run its offense extending its lead to double-digits, 20-10, following a layup from freshman Andrew Rice (New Haven, Conn.) at the 12:10 mark.
- Over the next 10 minutes of play, USJ and Albertus battled through six ties before Albertus found themselves up 44-38 at the half.
- The Falcons came out of the half on a 16-7 run, pounding the ball inside, and converting on several and-ones. Albertus took a 60-45 lead with 16:00 to go.
- USJ came roaring back, trimming a point or two at a time, until the lead was down to one, 80-79, with 2:00 to play exactly.
- The Falcons thrived on getting third, fourth, even fifth shot opportunities simply by sending multiple bigs to the boards.
- Junior Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) conveted on a huge putback to go up three, 82-79 with 1:47 left to play.
- USJ's Chris Childs fouled out seconds later, and Albertus went 6-for-8 from the line in the final minute to close out the win.
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) – 19 Points (4-10 FG, 3-7 3PT, 8-10 FT) | 8 rebounds | 2 assists
- Damian Grant – 15 Points (7-15 FG, 3-4 FT) | 11 rebounds | 1 assist
- Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) – 12 points (3-12 FG, 1-3 3PT, 5-8 FT) | 4 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 block
- Liam Perryman – 12 points (5-6 FG, 2-6 FT) | 7 rebounds | 1 steal | 4 blocks
Saint Joseph's (CT):
- Chris Childs – 24 Points | 5 rebounds | 2 assists | 2steals
- Delshawn Jackson Jr – 22 Points | 3 rebounds | 4 assists | 1 steal
- Ryan O'Neill – 12 points | 8 rebounds | 1 steal
- Noreaga Davis – 12 points | 8 rebounds | 2 assists
Albertus continues GNAC play with a road tilt at Lasell College. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. in Newton, Mass.