New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team lost to Saint Joseph's College of Maine by a score of 22-3 on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play at Celentano field on Senior Day.
Prior to the start of today's match, the men's lacrosse team honored its four-member senior class - Kaj Djonne (Newtown, Conn.), Nicholas Pereiro (Trumbull, Conn.), John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) and James May (Branford, Conn.).
FINAL: Saint Joseph's College 22 | Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-10, 1-6) | Saint Joseph's College (12-3, 6-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Saint Joseph's of Maine controlled the opening stanza as the Monks outshot the Falcons by an 18-3 edge to take an 8-0 lead at the end of one.
Saint Joseph's Shane Puleo kicked off the second completing the hat trick and extended the visitors' lead to 9-0 before May found the back of the net for his 100th career goal to bring the score to 9-1. However, Albertus would head into halftime trailing the Monks 15-1.
At the 9:20 mark in the third, May would score again following a nice feed from Djonne to cut the visitors lead to 14, 16-2, but the Monks would close out the frame with a 3-0 run to make it a 19-2 game.
Four minutes into the fourth, junior Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) netted the Falcons' third of the game off the assist from Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.), cutting the deficit to 19-3. Saint Joseph's scored an additional three goals over the final five minutes of play to claim the 22-3 triumph.
- Freshman Andrew Luzzi (East Haven, Conn.) went 9-for-27 in the face-off circle and scooped up three ground balls.
- Both Stinson and Pereiro finished with a team-high four ground balls.
- May and Stinson also recorded a caused turnover each.
Saint Joseph's College:
- Shane Puleo finished with a team-high eight points behind four goals and four assists.
- Troy Bottari also recorded four goals to go with two assists while Zac LaRoche posted a hat trick.
- Christopher Lekousi finished 14-for-20 in the face-off circle.
- Eleven different players tallied at least two ground balls, including four from Cam Shoemaker and Shane Fors.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (2-9): 14 Goals-Against | 14 Saves | 28 Shots
- Dane Walsh (Bethany, Conn.): 8 Goals-Against | 9 Saves | 12 Shots
Saint Joseph's College:
- Michael Janocha (W, 1-1): 1 Goal-Against | 2 Saves | 3 Shots
- Zachary Remillard: 2 Goals-Against | 5 Saves | 7 Shots
Albertus closes out the 2019 regular season with a road GNAC tilt against Anna Maria College on Tuesday, April 23. Game time is set for 7:00PM in Paxton, Mass.