New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team suffered a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader sweep on Thursday afternoon to the University of Saint Joseph's (CT) at Shea Stadium.
FINAL (G1): Saint Joseph's (CT) 11 | Albertus Magnus 3 - 5 innings
FINAL (G2): Saint Joseph's (CT) 9 | Albertus Magnus 1 - 6 innings
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (13-15, 2-6) | Saint Joseph's (CT) (19-15, 8-2)
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
Saint Joseph's struck first scoring four runs off a wild pitch and a three-run RBI single to take the early lead.
In the home half of the inning, Albertus threatened with bases loaded with one out before Kayla Gosselin (Milford, Conn.) forced the walk to allow one run to score, 4-1. The Falcons kept things going as Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) scored off Kristin Cunning's (Hoboken, N.J.) sacrifice fly to center, cutting the lead in half, 4-2.
The Blue Jays extended their lead to seven, 9-2, after scoring an impressive five runs in the top of the third highlighted by a three-run RBI double from Amaria Sharon.
Albertus rallied in the bottom of the third loading the bases with no outs, but was held to only one run off a sacrifice fly from Cunning.
Saint Joseph's (CT) tacked on an additional two runs over the next two innings to put the game away, 11-3.
KEY STATS (G1)
- Senior Marissa Guglielmi (Branford, Conn.) led the Falcons with two hits over three at bats.
- Freshman Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.) collected the final hit for the hosts.
- A trio of Blue Jays registered two hits.
- Sharon and Morgan Skoly tallied a team-high three RBI.
- Sharon picked up the win for the Blue Jays after holding the Falcons to three runs on three hits.
- Anderson suffered the loss and falls to 7-4 on the season.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Saint Joseph's opened the night cap with the 1-0 edge behind an RBI single from Samantha Iannone in the top of the second before tacking on another run in the top of the fourth to push the score to 2-0.
The Blue Jays continued to dominate at the plate scoring four runs in the fifth and three runs in the sixth to take a commanding 9-0 lead over Albertus.
The Falcons started to come alive in the bottom of the sixth as Megan Anderson (Levittown, N.Y.) got things started with a single to center field before Stettinger drove her home on a double to center field. However, the hosts rally came to an end with a groundout to third and a fly out to short stop.
KEY STATS (G2)
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) picked up the loss and falls to 4-8 on the year.
- Blue Jays pitcher Natalie Amato improved to 8-3 after holding the Falcons to only two hits in the nightcap.
- Iannone finished 3-for-4 with two RBI while Amanda Thiel went 2-for-4 with a team-high four RBI and a run scored.
- Stettinger and M. Anderson combined for two hits.
Albertus returns to action on Saturday, April 20 with a road doubleheader against Suffolk University. Game times are set 12:00PM and 2:00PM in East Boston.