Paxton, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College softball team swept Anna Maria College in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader on Wednesday afternoon on the campus of WPI. The Falcons took game one in five innings, 18-3, before securing the shutout in the nightcap, 9-0.
FINAL (G1): Albertus Magnus 18 | Anna Maria 3 - 5 innings
FINAL (G2): Albertus Magnus 9 | Anna Maria 0 - 6 innings
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (16-16, 5-7) | Anna Maria (3-18, 0-10)
BRIEF SYNOPSIS (G1)
- Anna Maria jumped out to an early 2-0 lead after capitalizing on a pair of errors by the Falcons.
- Bats came alive for Albertus in the top of the second as the visitors scored an impressive 10 runs on five hits, including a grand slam from Jess Stettinger (East Haven, Conn.).
- The AMCATS managed to score a run in the bottom of the third, but it was too late as Albertus tacked on an additional eight runs over the next two innings of play to put the game away, 18-3.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G1)
The Falcons were lead in game one by Stettinger who poked a grand slam to tally her four RBI's on the day. Stettinger's grand slam was her first of her college career as well as fifth registered home run of the season.
Sophomore Aubrey Defoe (Watertown, Conn.) also pushed across four runs, including a three-run RBI double in the top of the second, with scoring once herself on one hit.
Freshman Kayla Resto (Shelton, Conn.) had the game high in hits with a perfect game from the plate at 4-for-4 with three runs scored and three batted in.
Junior Laura Anderson (East Haven, Conn.) also pushed in three runs on her two hits, while also scoring a pair.
PITCHING STATS (G1)
- Anderson pitched all five innings for Albertus and only allowed five hits while striking out two.
- Ashley Garcia suffered the loss after allowing five hits and nine earned runs in one and one third innings.
BRIEF SYNOPSIS (G2)
- Albertus carried its momentum from game one into game two, scoring seven quick runs over the first two innings of play to take the early lead.
- Anna Maria was unable to get any offense going and held to only two hits.
- The Falcons scored an additional two runs in the top of the six to make the final score 9-0.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS (G2)
Albertus had another homerun in game two, off of the bat of Kayla Gosselin (Milford, Conn.) in the top of the first, who was just shy of an inside the park homerun. Gosselin was 2-for-2 with one run scored and a trio of runs batted in.
Freshmen Madison LaBossiere (Griswold, Conn.) picked up two hits, one coming in as a triple and the other a double. LaBossiere batted in two runs for the Falcons while also scoring once.
Anna Maria was only able to pick up two hits in the six innings of play. Garcia and Mackenzie Morin both got one hit in game two.
PITCHING STATS (G2)
- Freshman Erin Dighello (Wallingford, Conn.) pitched all six for the Falcons allowing no runs with two hits and ten punch outs.
- Victoria Falco made it through all six innings with ten hits allowed and only four earned runs.
Albertus returns to action on Friday, April 26th with a home GNAC doubleheader against Lasell College. Game times are set for 3PM and 5PM at Shea Stadium.