Link: Box Score
Boston, Mass. - Behind a career-high 17 points from freshman Emma Pierson (Branford, Conn.) as well as a pair of double-doubles from juniors Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) and Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team improved to 15-2 on the year as the Falcons defeated Simmons University Thursday evening by a score of 83-57 at Moore Gymnasium.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 83 | Simmons University 57
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (15-2, 3-1) | Simmons (4-11, 1-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Over the first three minutes of play, Simmons and Albertus battled through three ties.
- Following the third tie, 6-6, Albertus rallied off eight straight point to extend its lead to eight, 14-6.
- With 2:49 remaining, Simmons cut the visitors' lead to within nine, 19-10 after trailing by double-digits.
- Albertus closed out the quarter with a 17-point lead, 27-10, following an 8-0 run sparked on a made free throw from Osmond.
- The Falcons continued their run into the second and extended their lead to 24, 34-10, after opening the third with a 7-0 run.
- Simmons would go on to score its first basket since the 2:49 mark in the first thanks to a three from Cassandra Stapelfeld.
- Stapelfield continued to score as she hit another deep three to bring the Sharks to within 14, 34-20.
- Albertus maintained between a 15 and 17-point lead and would head into halftime up 43-29.
- Albertus opened the half with a 10-2 run to push its lead back above 20-points.
- Simmons chipped away at the Falcons' lead and trailed by 17, 58-41, heading into the third.
- The Sharks were unable to secure the comeback after being outshot in the fourth and final quarter by a 25-16 edge.
- Shyla Osmond – 27 Points (10-20 FG, 1-3 3PT, 6-9 FT) | 13 rebounds | 5 assist | 4 steals
- Rah Rah Thompson – 20 Points (9-17 FG, 2-3 3PT, 0-2 FT) | 10 rebounds | 2 assists | 3 steal | 2 blocks
- Emma Pierson – 17 points (5-7 FG, 3-4 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 2 rebounds | 3 assists
- Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) – 12 Points (4-9 FG, 4-9 3PT) | 3 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Cassandra Stapelfeld – 24 Points | 4 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Rebekah Carroll – 9 Points | 7 rebounds | 1 assist
Albertus continues Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play on Saturday, January 19 with a road showdown against Colby Sawyer. Tip-off is set for 3pm in New London, N.H.