Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - Junior Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team recorded her 17th double-double of the season behind a 22-point, 22-rebound performance as the Falcons topped Johnson & Wales University, 82-70, Wednesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 82 | Johnson & Wales 70
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (21-3, 7-2) | Johnson & Wales (6-18, 5-6)
ALL-TIME SERIES: After tonight's win, Albertus now leads Johnson & Wales in the all-time series, 13-12.
- Following tonight's 11-point performance, junior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) is now 36 points away from scoring her 1,000th career point.
- She will be the 15th player in program history to hit this milestone.
- Albertus remains undefeated at home, 10-0.
- Thompson's tied her season-high in rebounds as well as recorded a season-best 13 defensive rebounds.
- This game saw seven ties and seven lead changes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first six minutes of play saw Albertus and JWU battle through four ties.
- With the score evened at 14-14, JWU took over on offense taking a four-point lead, 19-15, with 2:15 remaining.
- Albertus evened the score at the 1:28 mark (19-19) as well as the 44 second mark (21-21), but would head into the second down one, 24-23.
- JWU maintained its lead to start off the second as the Wildcats held a five-point edge, 30-25, at the 7:06 mark, but an 8-3 run by the hosts evened the score at 33-33.
- A three from Emma Pierson (Branford, Conn.) gave the Falcons their lead as well as sparked a 10-0 run, giving the hosts a 40-33 lead at the half.
- Albertus carried its run into the third as the Falcons outscored the Wildcats 12-1 to build an 18-point lead, 52-34, with 5:29 remaining.
- JWU continued to chip away at the Falcons' lead, but would head into the fourth down 62-47.
- Despite the Wildcats outshooting the hosts, 23-20, in the final 10 minutes of play, Albertus maintained its double-digit lead to secure the home win.
- Rah Rah Thompson – 22 Points (10-19 FG, 0-1 3PT, 2-8 FT) | 22 rebounds | 1 assist | 3 steals | 1 block
- Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) – 17 Points (5-10 FG, 1-4 3PT, 6-9 FT) | 3 rebounds | 5 assists | 2 steals
- Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) – 11 Points (5-16 FG, 0-2 3PT, 1-2 FT) | 5 rebounds | 5 assists | 1 steal | 1 block
- Raegon Shirling-Davis (Waterbury, Conn.) – 11 points (5-13 FG, 1-4 3PT) | 8 rebounds | 6 assists | 3 steals | 2 blocks
Johnson & Wales:
- Ally Mishol – 21 Points | 7 rebounds | 2 assists | 2 steals
- Dede Stevenson – 20 Points | 6 rebounds | 3 assists | 3 steals
- Tiondra Hands – 11 points | 2 rebounds | 2 assists
Albertus concludes the regular season on Saturday, Feb. 16 as the Falcons host Suffolk University at 1pm on Senior Day.
Prior to the start of the game, the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team will honor its three-member senior class - Sasha Byrd (New Haven, Conn.), Kristin Cunning (Hoboken, N.J.) and Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) - for their work on the court and in the classroom.