New Haven, Conn. - Behind three double-digit performances, including a team-high 27 points from Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.), as well as a double-double from senior Rah Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team captured its first victory of the 2019-20 season with a 71-67 home win over Springfield College in non-conference play on Wednesday evening at "The Nest".
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 71 | Springfield 67
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-2) | Springfield (3-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus and Springfield opened regulation battling through four ties until a short spurt put the hosts up seven, 15-8, with 1:30 left in the first. The quarter ended with the Falcons up 17-10 after both teams traded baskets with less than 25 seconds on the clock.
Despite outshooting the Falcons, 16-14, in the second quarter, the Pride would head into halftime trailing by five, 31-26. The visitors found themselves down one, 22-21, following a layup from Sam Hourihan at the 4:30 mark, but the Falcons remained in control and maintained the lead.
Out of the intermission, a Springfield run trimmed the deficit down to three, 37-34, at the midway point of the third quarter. That was the closest the visitors would get as the Lady Falcons held an eight-point lead, 50-42, at the end of 30 minutes.
Springfield slowly began building momentum as the Pride tied the game twice in the fourth quarter. With less than a minute remaining, Albertus held its composure and held the visitors to only one shot before securing the home win, 71-67.
- Albertus shot 35.7% from the floor, 16.7% from behind the arc and 79.2% from the free throw line.
- Springfield finished the game shooting 36.9% from the field, 18.2% from three-point range and 65.4% from the charity stripe.
- The Pride out-rebounded the Falcons, 51-43.
- The Pride posted a 17-16 edge in second chance points.
- Albertus scored 32 of its 71 points in the paint.
- Shyla Osmond - 27 points (10-24 FG, 0-4 3pt, 7-10 FT) | 6 rebounds | 3 assists | 4 steals
- Rah Rah Thompson - 18 points (7-18 FG, 1-2 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 18 rebounds | 1 assist
- Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.) - 10 points (3-11 FG, 0-1 3pt, 4-4 FT) | 5 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 block
- Emily Jacques - 15 points (6-15 FG, 2-3 3PT, 1-1 FT) | 5 rebounds | 1 assist
- Sam Hourihan- 14 points (5-12 FG, 0-1 3pt, 4-4 FT) | 10 rebounds | 2 assists
- Alex Goslin - 14 points (5-14 FG, 0-1 3pt, 4-4 FT) | 2 rebounds | 4 assists | 2 steals
- Albertus: Rah Rah Thompson (18 points, 18 rebounds)
- Springfield: Sam Hourihan (14 points, 10 rebounds)
- Thompson collected her 20th career double-double behind 18 points and 18 rebounds.
- Coach JR Fredette is 8-0 in his career in home openers.
- The Lady Falcons are 16-11 all-time in home openers.
- Albertus remains undefeated against Springfield with an all-time record of 3-0.
- The last time the two programs met was back in 2012.
- Raposo recorded her third straight double-digit performance.
- Both teams battled through six ties and three lead changes.
- Freshman Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) made her first appearance this season for the Falcons.
The women's basketball team returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 23 with a road non-conference tilt against Fitchburg State. Tip-off is set for 12pm.