Salem, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team had five players score in double-digits, including a team-high 23 points from senior Rah-Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.), as the Lady Falcons cruised past Salem State, 81-54, on Saturday afternoon in non-conference play at Twohig Gymnasium.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 81 | Salem State 54
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (9-3) | Salem State (3-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After the score was deadlocked twice over the first six minutes of play, Albertus put together a 6-0 run, sparked by a made free throw from Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.), to take a 17-11 lead with 1:52 remaining. Junior Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.) then poured in a deep three to turn the visitors' lead to 20-13 at the end of the first quarter.
Salem State was no match for the Falcons in the second stanza as Albertus outscored the hosts, 17-5, to turn their advantage into a 37-18 cushion at the half.
Thompson and Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) led the Falcons in the first half as the duo combined for 17 points and 12 rebounds.
Out of the break, Albertus maintained the double-digit margin through the third period and expanded its lead to 31, 67-36, by the beginning of the fourth.
Salem State began the final frame with a 10-3 run, but it was no match for the Falcons, who finished the outing with an 11-8 spurt for an 81-54 win.
- Albertus Magnus - 45.8% FG | 20.0% 3PT | 77.8% FT
- Salem St. - 22.2% FG | 30.0% 3PT | 62.5% FT
- This game saw two ties and six lead changes.
- The Falcons won the battle on boards, 65-48.
- Albertus held the advantage in points off turnovers (20-9), second chance points (21-5), points in the paint (38-12) and fastbreak points (11-2).
- Albertus tied its season-high in offensive rebounds (24).
- The Falcons also set a new team-high in steals with 13.
- Rah-Rah Thompson - 23 points (9-12 FG, 1-3 3PT, 4-6 FT) | 16 rebounds | 2 assists | 4 steals | 6 blocks
- Shyla Osmond - 15 points (5-14 FG, 0-1 3PT, 5-6 FT) | 12 rebounds | 10 assists | 2 steals
- Kyah Nowlin - 13 points (5-14 FG, 2-6 3PT, 1-4 FT) | 3 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Katherine Raposo - 10 points (4-15 FG, 1-4 3PT, 1-2 FT) | 6 rebounds | 4 assists | 2 steals | 2 blocks
- Andreah Orr – 10 points (3-7 FG, 4-6 FT) | 5 rebounds | 1 steal
- Courtney Paschal - 10 points (3-7 FG, 1-2 3PT, 3-5 FT) | 3 rebounds | 2 steals
- Nicole Freddo - 13 points (4-8 FG, 1-3 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 5 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Albertus: Rah-Rah Thompson (23 points, 16 rebounds) | Shyla Osmond (15 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists)
- Salem St.: None
- This is the second meeting between the two programs.
- Albertus is undefeated against Salem State, 2-0.
- Thompson collected her eighth double-double of the season.
- Osmond registered her third triple-double of the season.
- Thompson also tied her season-high in blocks with six.
- Raposo set a new season-best in blocks (2) and rebounds (6).
- Sophomore Sammara Streater (New Haven, Conn.) came off the bench scoring a game-high six points.
The women's basketball team returns to the hardwood on Tuesday, January 8 with a road game against nationally ranked No. 6 Amherst College. Tip-off is set for 5PM.