Amherst, Mass. - Despite a double-double from senior Rah-Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team fell on the road to nationally ranked No. 4 Amherst College, 88-51, in a non-conference showdown Tuesday evening at LeFrak Gymnasium.
FINAL: No. 4 Amherst 88 | Albertus Magnus 51
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (9-4) | No. 4 Amherst (11-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It took a while for Albertus to get going and Amherst took advantage, building an early 8-0 lead. Andreah Orr (Danbury, Conn.) spearheaded a comeback for the Falcons as the junior sparked a 7-2 run behind a made free throw to pull the visitors within three, 10-7.
The hosts then answered back with a 6-2 run over the final 3:12 of the first frame to hold onto a 16-9 cushion at the end of the first 10 minutes.
Albertus turned the tides fairly quickly in the second stanza as the Falcons battled back to with three, 20-17, following a made jump shot from Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) at the 6:09 mark. However, Amherst found its rhythm offensively and went into the locker room with a 10-point advantage, 34-24.
Senior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) led Albertus with nine points at the half while Nowlin added eight alongside three rebounds.
Out of the break, Amherst was no match for the Falcons as the Mammoths outscored the visitors 34-16 to turn their advantage into a 68-40 cushion at the end of three.
Albertus was unable to make up any ground in the fourth as the Mammoths put on cruise control en route to the 88-51 victory.
- Albertus - 30.0% FG | 18.2% 3PT | 65.5% FT
- Amherst - 47.9% FG | 47.1% 3PT | 76.9% FT
- Rah-Rah Thompson - 20 points (7-13 FG, 1-3 3PT, 5-10 FT) | 10 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 2 blocks
- Kyah Nowlin - 13 points (3-14 FG, 1-5 3PT, 6-9 FT) | 4 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Shyla Osmond - 9 points (3-16 FG, 0-1 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 4 rebounds | 4 assists | 2 steals | 1 block
- Maggie Shipley - 19 points (6-13 FG, 2-4 3PT, 5-5 FT) | 1 rebound | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Madeline Eck - 14 points (6-11 FG, 0-1 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 11 rebounds | 3 assists
- Dani Valdez - 12 points (6-8 FG) | 2 rebounds | 1 block
- Hannah Fox - 11 points (5-8 FG, 1-2 3PT) | 6 rebounds | 5 assists | 2 steals | 1 block
- Albertus: Rah-Rah Thompson (20 points, 10 rebounds)
- Amherst: Madeline Eck (14 points, 11 rebounds)
- This is the sixth meeting between the two programs.
- The last time Albertus and Amherst met was back in 2016.
- Amherst now holds a 6-0 edge over Albertus in the all-time series.
- The Falcons are 3-4 on the road following tonight's loss.
- Thompson collected her ninth double-double of the season.
- Thompson scored 16 of her 20 points in the second half.
- Nowlin and Osmond both led the team in steals.
The women's basketball team returns home on Saturday, January 11 as the Falcons host Regis (Mass.) College in their GNAC opener. Tip-off is set for 1PM in New Haven, Conn.