Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team fell to visiting Simmons University, 11-3, on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action at Celentano Field.
FINAL: Simmons University 11 | Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-2, 0-1) | Simmons (2-0, 1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half (4-0 SIM)
- Simmons scored the first seven goals of the game, including the only four markers of the first half.
- The Sharks scored four goals in a three and a half minute span to take a 4-0 lead with 22:06 to play in the opening session.
- It was a defensive battle between the Falcons and Sharks as neither team was able to put another goal on the board for the remainder of the half.
Second Half (7-3 SIM)
- Elena Bragg, Maegan Neelon and Kingsley Richards each found the back of the net for the first three tallies of the second half to give Simmons a 7-0 advantage with 22:14 to go in the contest.
- Freshman Alexis Lape (Bristol, Conn.) put the Falcons on the board on a feed from junior Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) at the 20:19 mark to end the Sharks' shutout streak, 7-1.
- Two goals from Molly Reinhold and a goal from Amina Mansouri gave Simmons a 10-1 cushion with 15:24 to play in the match.
- Albertus Magnus scored two of the final three goals to make it an 11-3 final.
- Freshman Madison Neilander (Wallingford, Conn.) scored her first goal of the season on a free position shot while Kaitlyn Ellsworth (Tolland, Conn.) scored the final goal of regulation on a nice feed from Lape.
- Lape led the Falcons' attack with a goal and an assist for two points.
- Junior midfielder Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) came up with a game-high seven draw controls in addition to three ground balls and a caused turnover.
- Along with D'Agostino, senior Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) and Katherin Martinez (Norwalk, Conn.) posted a team-high three ground balls.
- Martinez also led the defensive unit with two caused turnovers.
- Along with her four goals and assist, Reinhold added four draw controls, a ground ball and a caused turnover for the Sharks.
- Bragg scored twice and added two assists and a ground ball.
- Kelsey Benedict also contributed on the defensive side with four ground balls and a caused turnover.
- Missie Maiewski, Mallory Cottam and Mansouri each registered a goal and an assist with Cottam adding a game-high four ground balls and a pair of assists.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Lexie Fenn: 11 Goals-Against | 12 Saves | 23 Shots
- Cat Cross: 3 Goals-Against | 7 Saves | 10 Shots
Albertus returns to action on Wednesday, March 13 as the Falcons take on in-state rival the University of Saint Joseph's (CT). Game time is set for 12pm at Celentano Field in New Haven, Conn.