Link: Box Score
Franklin, Mass. - Junior Kaitlin D'Agostino (Hamden, Conn.) and freshman Alexis Lape (Bristol, Conn.) each tallied five goals apiece to lead the Albertus Magnus College women's lacrosse team to a 21-6 victory over Dean College in non-conference action at Grant Field.
Albertus owned a 13-3 lead at halftime, including three goals from both D'Agostino and Lape, and outscored the Bulldogs, 8-3, in the second stanza to secure the road win, 21-6.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 21 | Dean 6
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-6) | Dean (0-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons opened regulation with a commanding 8-0 lead behind six different scorers.
- Back-to-back man-up goals from Dean cut the deficit to within six, 8-2, with 11:41 left to go in the first.
- Albertus would close out the stanza with 5-1 run to push its lead to double-digits, 13-3.
- Dean kicked off the second scoring its fourth goal of the game on a free position shot to bring the score to 13-4.
- Albertus countered back with a 5-0 scoring run, including a two from Lape, to push its lead to 18-4.
- The Bulldogs started to build momentum midway through as Lauryna Wilks scored a pair of goals just a minute apart, but the Falcons were too much for the hosts to handle.
- Freshman Madison Neilander (Wallingford, Conn.) also recorded a stellar for the Falcons scoring four goals and two assists for six points to go along with 11 draw controls and two ground balls.
- Senior Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) posted a season-high four points behind two goals and two assists.
- Junior Korina Zelaya (Trumbull, Conn.) was the final Falcon to score two goals as well as led the defensive attack with a pair of caused turnovers.
- Lauryn Wilks paced the Bulldogs' offense with a game-high four goals to go along with four ground balls and a draw control win.
- Makayla Fisher won seven of the Bulldogs' nine draw controls.
- Nicole Romero led the defensive unit with two caused turnovers as well as posted a goal, four ground balls and a draw control win.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Grace Vestro (Waterbury, Conn.) (W, 1-0): 6 Goals-Against | 7 Saves | 13 Shots
- Calia Weeks-Christopher (L, 0-5): 21 Goals-Against | 8 Saves | 29 Shots
- Albertus dominated play with a 34-17 shot advantage, including a 22-9 in the first half, while winning 20 of 29 draws for the match.
- The Falcons also owned a 24-15 margin in ground balls and forced six of the Bulldogs 13 turnovers.
- Dean finished the game 16-for-18 in clears and was 2-for-2 in free position shots while Albertus finished 14-for-17 in clears and 3-for-5 in free position shots.
The women's lacrosse team returns home on Thursday, March 28 with a non-conference tilt against Bay Path. Game time is set for 5PM at Celentano Field.