NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Freshman Charles Risk (Medicine Hat, Alberta) scored his first career goal, the lone goal for Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey, in a 3-1 loss to Bryn Athyn College on Sunday evening at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
FINAL: Bryn Athyn 3 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-2-2) | Bryn Athyn (2-1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Bryn Athyn took hold of the game early with a pair of goals in the middle of the first period. Nikita Smirnov scored first 13:50 into the frame, while Dakota Ulmer put the road team up 2-0 with a short-handed strike under two minutes later. Devon Becker and Sheldon Brett assisted on the Smirnov tally, while MacKenzie MacDonald and Becker were credited with helpers on the Ulmer score.
The Falcons settled in during the second period, fighting to a 0-0 frame. Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) helped guide Albertus to the scoreless period with 12 of his 36 saves.
Albertus scored its first of the game in the third period. Risk tallied the score at the 18:01 mark, following some sharp passing in front of the net by the Falcons. Risk cashed in on an Alexander Lazier (Pointe-Claire, Quebec) pass to cut the deficit to 2-1 with just under two minutes left in the game.
Unfortunately for Albertus, the Lions answered with an empty-net score from Becker, his third point of the evening, to ice the game at 3-1. Risk and Becker's goals in the third were a part of a hectic period that also featured a combined 15 penalties.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (T, 0-2-2): Shots on Goal 38 | Goals-Against 2 | Saves 36
Bryn Athyn - McKenzie Chalmers (W, 2-0-0): Shots on Goal 25 | Goals-Against 1 | Saves 24
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Bryn Athyn outshot Albertus by a 39-25 margin.
• The two teams combined for 22 penalties.
• Albertus committed 12 infractions for 35 minutes, while Bryn Athyn was whistled for 10 penalties for 31 minutes.
• Diamond ended the game with 38 saves.
• In total, 14 different Falcons registered a shot on the night.
• Risk led Albertus with four shots.
• The Lions' Smirnov paced all players with seven shots on the evening.
• The Falcons' three goals allowed tonight is a new season high.
• Risk's goal is the first of his career.
• After tonight, Lazier leads the team with four points and three assists on the season.
• Diamond is up to 144 saves on the year, as he has made at least 33 stops in every game.
• Both Zacharia Ouladelhadjahmed (Harveys Lake, Pa.) and Joseph Onorato (Johns Creek, Ga.) made their collegiate debuts against Bryn Athyn.
The Albertus men's ice hockey team continues a four-game homestand on Monday, Nov. 18, with a 5 p.m. bout against Post University.